thirty five: heartbeat

Justin

It was Monday and I was skipping work because Scarlett told me last night that she has to go to the doctor's for her regular check up. She was seven months old now and her bump has grown so much and her cheeks had gotten adorably chubby.

The only thing that bugged me was that I haven't told her about Olivia yet.

"Let's go" I heard her voice I looked at her to see that she was now ready to go. I stood up from the couch and we walked out of the house and I opened the car door for her and she sat in.

I kept driving slower than usual and avoided bumps.

I put on the music while Scarlett grabbed the water bottle and gulped down half of it.

She drinks like gallons of water everyday but Mama Jen said its a good thing so I'm not worried about it.

I haven't really talked about the baby in depth with her. The thing is I don't know myself yet. I don't know how its going to be after the baby comes.

I still don't know if I'm ready for it yet.

I also really want to tell Scar about what happened that night with Olivia but I'm just afraid that she might not take it in the way I expect her to. She's pregnant and I don't want to stress her but I have to tell that to her.

I parked the car when we reached the clinic and and helped Scarlett get down the car. 

I was a little nervous because this was the first time I'm going to the doctor's with her and I don't know a thing.

I intertwined our fingers as she led me inside and stood at the reception.

"Good morning Ms. Lopez, how are you and your little baby bug doing" The middle aged woman with glasses said and Scarlett smiled.

"We're both amazing" She said.

"And who is this charming man with you?" The woman asked pointing at me.

Scarlett smiled and looked at me and the woman saw our connected hands and smiled.

"Oh so this is the baby daddy" She said and Scarlett chuckled and nodded.

"Mrs. Claire, this is Justin, Justin, this is Mrs. Claire" Scarlett said and I smiled and shook hands with her.

"That boy is going to be one handsome boy" She said.

"You can go in, Ms. Watson is waiting for you" She said and Scarlett nodded and led me inside.

"Ms. Watson is the gynec?" I asked and she nodded.

"She's very nice" Scarlett said and pushed open the door and the woman who was at her desk, reading something looked up at us.

"Scarlett! There you are, how are you doing darling?" She asked and Scarlett smiled again.

"I'm great" She said.

"And is this who I think it is?" She smiled and bounced her eyebrows and Scarlett nodded.

"Finally!" She said and they both laughed at some inside joke.

Then Scarlett went behind the curtains and changed into the clothes Ms. Watson gave her while I looked at the previous pictures taken of our baby in the womb.

"Do you want to come in or...?" The doctor asked.

"Uh yeah" I said and followed her behind the curtains where Scarlett had already adjusted herself on the recliner kind of thing that let her spread her legs ahead all the way.