Aftermath

"Get up, Cassie. School today." Bobby smacked Cas' butt, causing Cas to turn over onto his back and groan. Then he remembered. It was his birthday!
"My grandson's gonna be 14!" Bobby said with a smile. Rufus walked into Cas' dark blue room and kissed Cas on the forehead when the he sleepily stood up. He took a hot shower, not bothering to blow dry his crazy dark hair. After getting himself ready, he stumbled down the stairs.
"Don't forget your homework!" Bobby shouted down the stairs. Cas munched on a granola bar and walked over to the counter he'd left his homework on. He picked up the math assignment. Something orange that was sitting on the counter caught his eye. Gabe's sleeping pills. Poor Gabe hasn't gotten a decent night of sleep since he was 9. He felt strange about that bottle, like something was carved into his brain, yet he couldn't quite put his finger on it. The scene around him changed, but the bottle stayed in place.

~

     He stared at the bottle with the same pills in it. He quietly slid it into the drawer below after glancing at the Monopoly game going on, hearing Dean and Gabe arguing over something stupid then laughing. The ground rushed up to meet Cas' face as a baffling sensation hit him. It was as if his body was being carried away with the wind.

~

Rock of Ages. He could hear the familiar tune of his favorite song ringing through the room. It seemed like the deep, rough humming he heard was spinning around his head as he drowned in it. The lyrics were traveling through the room and smacking him in the face. A faint, sweet smell wafted into his nose. Peppermint. He saw a light, but it wasn't warm and welcoming. It was cold and blotchy. He wanted to go back to the nice dark place in the back of his mind, but something was pulling him towards reality. He opened his eyes slowly.
"Green." Cas managed to push out. He could see green, and that was a start.
"Am I... dead?" Cas slowly asked, syllables inching along as he felt warmness wash over his face.
"Cas!" He heard. Cas tried to focus his vision, but he got a shooting pain in his head when he tried. He whimpered. The Singer tried to sit up, but his muscles seemed to still be asleep. A sturdy hand comforted his shoulder, holding him down and keeping him from straining himself.
"Don't try to get up, it'll take time." The voice said. A small, whimper like noise escapes Cas' lips and he sank his head into the pillow.
"You're at the hospital. Can you open your eyes?"
Cas made an unsuccessful attempt to widen his eyes and gave up shortly after. That voice. He remembered that voice from somewhere, but he couldn't quite place it. He has heard that same voice laugh and cry. That's the voice he fell in love with. That specific voice might as well be the soundtrack of his life, because that deep rasp was all that mattered.

~

"Dean?" Cas asked, stuttering.
"Hiya, Angel. I'm so glad you're awake. We have bread and orange juice here for you, but this hospital food is the equivalent of crap on a stick." Cas couldn't keep up with all of the words, so he just laughed.
"Deaaannnn!" Cas registered his presence when he saw the Winchester reach for the bread.
"Yeah, it's me, Angel."
Cas noticed the shiny streaks down Dean's face.
"Why are you crying?"
"You've been out for days. The doctors said you would be alright but I was scared. I couldn't deal with myself if I lost you."
Dean looked at his angel with sad eyes.
"But for now," Dean sighed, "You seem pretty high, so we're just gonna listen to music." Cas laughed and nodded groggily. Dean turned up their favorite song playing from his speaker and climbed into the bed with Cas.
"Are you allowed to do that?" Cas questioned with eyes as wide as dinner plates.
"I don't care. You're alive." Dean replied, resting his head on Cas' chest. Sam decided to go get better food from the cafeteria with Gabe. In an instant, Dean was crying his eyes out.
"Don't ever do that again. I love you, Cas. I fucking love you!" As reality set in and Cas remembered what happened, the only thing he felt was regret. Pain was the second worst thing in the world, regret taking the lead, and sadly, Cas felt both simultaneously.
The boys rested there, Cas comforting Dean and drying his tears with the hospital blanket.