Chapter eight

This story has been rewritten as of 2020. Please be mindful comments may not go with whatever is being said in the story, so do not be confused. Enjoy :)

...

Zane was faintly aware of being given permission back of his own body, just before being thrown into the cage. Everything hurt - his arms, knees, chest, back. Cole really did a number on him - so much, in fact, that he couldn't even stand himself when he got back in, collapsing into Lloyd's scared grip. "Oh God, oh God, oh God." He could hear the boy mutter, hugging him tightly, helping him sit down, but making sure to not touch any bit that was sparking or dented. "Zane..."

Morro crouched down to watch them for a second, ghostly form shifting like a breeze. His deep eyes glared at Zane's own. "Hmm, maybe you are more useful then I thought." 

The robot watched with half closed eyes as the ghost walked away, laughing to himself satanically that he couldn't help the shiver that ran down his spine listening to it. He remembered the battle, remembered being forced to laugh along with him, remembered hurting everyone around him. Zane never wanted that to happen again. He hated it. 

"A-Are you..." Lloyd cut himself off, breathing erratic as he fought the panic, burying his face into the robots hair, which was still soft despite being metal. "No.. no you aren't." 

If it were any other case, the nindroid would have assured the boy he was alright, that he could heal everything and it was all going to be okay. However now Zane barely had any energy, and his self-healing system had spluttered to a stop, overwhelmed with the amount of damage he had received. The ice-ninja knew the green ninja was thinking back to that horrific day, the day when he'd thrown his life away to save them all. Actually, there had been several, but that one was when he had truly died, in a sense. 

Instead, he moved slightly so he could see his green eyes, which had unshed tears in them, and he reached his hand up, petting him on the head like a father would do to a son. "We're going to be okay." There was no point saying anything else - he could only assume based on his friends reactions when he fought them that they had been planning something - they had jumped out of their skin like a teenager might do if accidentally caught doing something they shouldn't. Zane had known them for years - it was the same reaction they had given him when they had first planned for his birthday too. They were coming, he was certain. 

"Sure - sure." The blond reached a hand up to brush at his eyes frantically. "Okay.. I believe you." 

...

Cole stomped his foot on the floor angrily, marching past Kai, who looked just as pissed. Jay awkwardly sat on a run down tree, watching them both with sad blue eyes. "Guys, look." He started, but was cut off by the Earth ninja. 

"Why did I even try to fight him? I hurt him, Jay, I fucking hurt him!" 

The fire ninja spun around, running a hand through his hair from both stress, and to quell the headache that hitting a tree can cause. "Look, Cole, there was good reasoning, but I have to agree with you - we should've just backed off!" The lightning ninja was the only source of cool right now, and he wasn't enjoying it at all. The leader and the hot head stalked over to each other, butting heads angrily, both wanting to end their frustration and Jay knew it was going to end in a fight. 

"Stop it!" He cried out, eyes wide and annoyed. "This is what he wants us to do - to fight each other! Stop acting like immature six year olds! That's my job!" 

They both instantly stopped, looking at him guiltily. "You're.. you're right, Jay." Cole said, groaning and rubbing a hand down his face. "God, this sucks." 

"We still have the plan." Kai reminded them softly, all anger gone. "If we have that, we can succeed. We just need to hurry."  

...

They all bundled close in their sleeping bags that night, too afraid to stray far away from the others. Nya and Wu stayed up, keeping watch over them, as they weren't needed to fight, they felt it was their duty to be lookouts. The woman was slightly dozing alongside her sensei when a shrill ringing noise woke her up. 

Momentarily, she thought it was her alarm, and she was back in the tea-shop, in her small but cozy bedroom, until she opened her eyes to find herself in a dark, eerily quiet forest. It was a phone - Kai's phone, to be exact, vibrating loudly as it notified them all of a call. 

Getting up, she cracked her back, before crouching down to grab the phone, pressing accept. "Hello?" 

"Nya.." It was Lloyd - the girl was faintly remembering the boys saying something along the lines that the green ninja still had his phone. She wasn't around when he had called the first time. "A-Are you all there?" 

She smiled at his innocent sounding voice - grown up teenager or not, he was still a child sometimes. "Yes, let me wake them up." 

Apparently, waking them up meant kicking them all in their sides - they took way too long to wake up any other way, so she didn't feel much remorse. Cole curled into his side, glaring up at her, whereas Kai jumped up, eyes wide and fists flying. Jay just sort of opened his eyes and mumbled something about ponies under his breath. "Lloyd is on the phone." She said simply, handing the device to them. She pointed at where she had been sleeping. "I'll be over here if you need me." 

"Lloyd." Cole spluttered. "How's Zane - I, I had to fight him and I hurt him and-"

"He..." The green ninjas choice of pausing was making the Earth ninja's stomach drop. "He isn't doing so well. I-I don't know if its from the injuries or-or being possessed but he..." His voice lowered even more, as if afraid of saying it. "He couldn't even stand, guys. He collapsed as soon as he was brought back."

Jay ran a hand through his messy hair, tugging on it worriedly. "Okay, okay, this is bad. It means his healing program has stopped - god why can't I make good technology that actually helps-" The lightning ninja was interrupted from a side-hug by the fire ninja, who pressed his cheek against his head. Jay relaxed instantly, sighing. "I know it's not my fault - It wasn't finished yet, I get that. Sorry.."

"What am I supposed to do, Jay?" Lloyd sounded lost. "What if Morro takes him again and he doesn't survive. we-we can't lose him, not again."

There was no way they could even begin to comfort the captured ninja. They just had to hold on and that was it. Zane just had to hold on. "Nevermind that, he'll be fine." Kai hated to make them all feel horrible, but he needed to get this question out there. "I need you to describe everything you can see, hear or feel. Please. It could help us find you." 

So Lloyd told them.