Chapter five

This story has been rewritten as of 2020. Please be mindful comments may not go with whatever is being said in the story, so do not be confused. Enjoy :)

...

It felt like forever before the ice ninja finished his half of the food - he pretended not to see Lloyd put some of his own onto his side, for the sake of making the smaller happy. His chest still ached horribly, but he knew that this pain was good - it was keeping him aware, focused. Zane knew he needed that to survive. 

It had been silent as they ate, and so with that, the nindroid had been able to detect a faint trace of something coming along the corridors using his slightly damaged ear sensors to hear the whoosh of air. He narrowed his eyes and grabbed Lloyd, who stood still in shock for a second, giving him the opportunity to shove him behind him, using his advantage of being tall to shield the other ninja. The green ninja only grabbed onto his hood, worried but not saying anything. 

Morro came out from the wall this time, tutting as he walked up to the cage. "Well isn't this a sorry sight - the green ninja, sworn to protect everyone, being protected by nothing more than spare parts." He shrugged, eyes looking tired and worn. "I find it funny, robot, that you think I care who I possess at this point? You are just as strong as him in a way." 

Opening the door, he floated in, grinning as they backed up against the wall in fear. Morro just loved it when people feared him - he never got that good of a reaction when he was good after all. Only looks of pity and sympathy ever floated his way. This was amazing. "Well, I guess you can take turns if you really want. My, it's like trying out new toys!" 

"Zane, move!" The green ninja squirmed, wanting to get out of the crushing grip to protect his friend, but it was too late - the ghost jumped into the body before him, and his left hand used Lloyd's chest to stand up, making him loose his breath momentarily. "Shit!" 

Before he could get up and follow, the man had left, shutting the cage and locking it. "Don't worry." He cooed creepily, large smile not matching Zane's usually quiet shy one. "You'll see him again soon, will you not?" 

The heavy footsteps were all the ninja heard as his only companion left - he gripped the bars. "Don't leave me alone..." 

...

"So this Morro guy.." Jay had his hand on his face, elbow resting on his lap tiredly. "He's like a brother to us.. in a way?" 

Their sensei sighed, looking depressed almost: Regretful would be a good way to describe it. He was running a hand through his beard, slightly pulling on it with stress. "Yes. I took him in from a young age - I now see that was a grave mistake of mine." 

Cole shook his head, smiling with as much kindness as he could muster at the minute - it wasn't much. "You took pity on him. He should have learned to be more respectful and understanding. There was nothing you could have done, master." The Earth-user hoped that sounded encouraging, because he was trying his best to maintain that usually level head he was well-known for. It was hard when you'd recently found out someone who was supposedly going to be the green ninja had backfired and become the enemy instead. Not to mention they were practically an older brother to them. 

Nya was cooking something over a small fire, and she shot her head up suddenly, eyes narrowing. Kai looked at his sister, cocking his head in confusion. "What's wrong Sis'?" 

They all expected something along the lines of 'I'm just annoyed you lot aren't cooking' or at least a comfort for their Sensei, but what they got was far more concerning. "Can you hear that?" 

There was silence as everyone strained to hear whatever the next most observant person had heard. Jay shrugged, yawning - "Maybe it was a dee-" 

Suddenly, a large gust of wind, strong enough to throw them all off of their feet, flooded through their camp, dampening the fire from the overwhelming strength, and frightening off any nearby animals. The ninja could hear the bunnies squeal over the sound of ripping air and over the top of that was a laugh - not a normal laugh, but one made from someone's nightmares. "It's not a deer!" Came a cheeky voice from behind a few trees, so the ninja couldn't see him to attack. 

Jay grabbed Nya's arm, dragging her dazed body behind him - Kai and Cole slid into fighting stances, growling. Sensei Wu sighed sadly, and just stood there, not needing to prepare himself to attack. Morro laughed again. "Missed me?" 

"Let Lloyd go!" Kai sounded like he was going to kill the ghost, even if he was already dead, and even if he didn't have his powers. "You bastard!" 

The whistling of wind stopped. "That's a shame." The ghost's voice wasn't interrupted by anything, human or animal, as he spoke. The whole forest was silent with fear. "What if I wasn't using Lloyd? Did you ever think of that? You're smart, figure it out." 

Cole bared his teeth, canines showing, almost like a werewolf. He drew his weapon silently, eyes focused on the blur of trees making up the last known location of the hero. He was far too stressed to be bothered to think stupid puzzles out. The fire ninja looked at him, furrowing his brows in pity before pulling up his mask as the leaves rustled.  

A hand, a metal one, grabbed at a tree, freezing it as he used it to move forward easier. They all gaped, not in shock, but in horror. There was blood everywhere, more than there was before. Blue stained his cheeks, neck, shoulder, stomach, legs. Cole found it hard to see where blood didn't stick to his best friend. 

"Zane..."