8.

CIA BUILDING

The ride back to the place they called 'home' was quiet. Everybody was tired from the previous events. Of course, Emma had been taken back to the CIA to be questioned. Shaw still was nowhere to be seen. Not a single word was spoken after coming back from Russia - nor were there any telepathic conversations. There was only the sound of silence. 

Jasmine sat still, looking out of the window. She didn't particularly like silence - well, not this one - but she was at a loss for words so she decided against speaking. She secretly wondered what Charles was doing but didn't dare to look in case they made eye contact. Familiar scenery began to come into view and the car came to a stop. What the group saw wasn't what they had expected at all. The CIA building was demolished, rubble everywhere. Several people were rushing about outside. 

As the group came closer to the building, Charles rushed ahead, hoping to see the young mutants unharmed. Sure enough they were sitting outside. Except Darwin wasn't present. 

'Charles, where's Darwin?' Jasmine asked him telepathically (A/N: This had me in a fit of laughter because of Charles Darwin, the famous naturalist, lol).

'I don't quite know, dear,' he replied.

"Raven?" Charles sprinted to check on his sister. He immediately took her in a warm embrace. Jasmine, Erik and Moira followed behind and stood near him. Jasmine, being the mother-like person she is sometimes, felt the need to hug Hank, Sean and Alex. That's exactly what she did. She went over to the three males and wrapped her arms around them lovingly. They were taken back by the gesture but soon melted in her arms and hugged her back. Jasmine pulled back and stood by Raven. She then hugged Raven, also.

"We've made arrangements for you to be taken home immediately," Charles told the young mutants, which clearly disappointed them.

"We're not going home," Sean spoke up.

"What?"

"He's not going back to prison," Sean gestured to Alex, who nodded slightly.

"He killed Darwin," he said. Jasmine instantly felt guilty and heartbroken. The adults hadn't been there to protect the young mutants and one of them had died.

"All the more reason for you to leave," Charles' voice became stern "This is over."

"Darwin's dead, Charles, and we can't even bury him," Raven spoke up, her voice raspy - probably from crying. There was a moment of silence, whilst everyone took in her words.

"We can avenge him," everyone turned to look at Erik.

"Erik, a word please," Charles walked away, Erik following him. They seemed to be having a slight disagreement but Charles 'came to his senses.' He turned round and looked the group over.

"We'll have to train, all of us," he said "Yes?"

"Yeah," they all agreed, Alex being the loudest.

"Well, we can't stay here. Even if they reopen the department, its not safe," Hank spoke up "We've got nowhere to go." Jasmine saw a smile appear on Charles' face as he replied.

"Yes we do."

WESTCHESTER COUNTY, NEW YORK

The group stood outside of Charles' large mansion, which he had inherited from his wealthy parents. From the outside, it looked like the mansion had several floors. The grounds outside the building were well-kept, too.

"This is yours?" Sean asked in disbelief.

"No, it's ours."

"Honestly, Charles. I don't know how you survived living in such hardship," Erik's comment was laced with sarcasm. Jasmine sniggered and Charles smiled slightly. Raven then came forward and stood beside her brother.