21: Going Through the Motions [3rd Draft]

People didn't know how to act around her. They stared, whispered behind their hands, pointed even, as Bailey walked down the halls that morning. What was most surprising was that it wasn't Grayson, or Kate, or any of the other people she would've expected, that spoke to her first. It was Rajah Lithgow and Harper Grim, two of the meanest girls in school, who'd come to hug Bailey as if she were a long lost friend.

"It's good to see you 'officially back.' You are 'officially back' right?" Harper commented coolly. "It's the first time we've seen you at the beginning of school in months."

Bailey knew she looked awkward because she felt it. Her legs felt restless, literally begging her to hightail it out of the vicinity. But it was her excessive swallowing and her wavering smile that should have warned Harper and Rajah to back off.

Bailey's brows pulled together as Harper gave her one last squeeze. Harper was close enough to Bailey that she found herself focusing on her gray eyes and the subtle sprinkling of freckles across the bridge of her nose.

Stunned, Bailey cocked her head to the side and squinted as she noticed the slightly pointed ears beneath the girls' hair. Harper looked surprising like a fairy and Bailey found herself wondering if she'd been teased about it.

"Harper," Bailey paused to extract Harper's fingers from her shoulders. She pushed the girl back slightly before also taking a step away herself. "Yes. I'd say I'm officially back."

Luckily, Harper didn't notice the sudden forced distance between them and continued. "That's good."

Rajah, however, didn't seem to share that particular thought as she folded her arms across her chest and leaned against the locker next to Baileys'. Rajah tilted her head to the side as she examined Bailey. When she noticed Bailey had focused on her she gave a cold and insincere smile.

Ignoring the angry black girl, Bailey swung open her locker and shoved her bag in. Reaching for her first period book and notebook, she quickly shut it, hoping Raj would stay silent as she turned away.

"You know I don't like you, Bailey. Never did."

Who did Raj like except for Harper?

"Thanks Raj! I don't like you either," Bailey snapped. The sudden anger and ability to spout out such contempt openly towards Rajah was rather surprising. Normally, Bailey would just ignore it, but apparently today was not that day.

Bailey's shoulders stiffened as Raj fell into step beside her and she clutched her books tighter to her chest, wishing she could be anywhere but at school. "What do you want Raj?"

Rajah reached forward, her hand clamping down on Bailey's bicep, jerking her back to stand solidly in front of her, unmoving. "You aren't the only one that cares. You aren't the only one that's been looking either."

Bailey wondered if Rajah had some Egyptian in her lineage as she focused on the upward sweep at the corner of her almond shaped eyes. Squishing the random thought she asked the real question that was bothering her. "Why are you talking to me?"

A flash of irritation sparked in Rajah's eyes and her jaw clenched. She let out a hiss that reminded Bailey of cold water splashing on a hot surface and turned her head away, shaking it in disbelief. "Do you know Finley Watson and Lucianna Ram?"

Bailey refrained from rolling her eyes and shook her head. "What does this have to do with anything? More importantly, why would I care?"

"Chill bitch," Rajah held up a finger and waved it in Bailey's face. "I'm getting to that. Fin and Luce were Sam's party "hook ups." Are you catching what I'm throwing?"

Buried (Bailey Roberts Trilogy #1) Editingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें