06: Everybody Talks [3rd draft]

"What were their names again?" one guy asked without raising his hand. The teacher allowed it and Bailey knew he was one of those that viewed the students as equals and actually let them have real conversations. This was definitely going to be a great class.

"Jamie and Harley," another supplied. "From what I heard it doesn't surprise me that people didn't know they were missing right away."

"Why do you say that?" Mr. Welsh asked.

"They like explored caves and stuff. At least Jamie did. I heard her father was like a professional and always took her along."

If that guy said 'like' one more time Bailey might have to deck him. Wouldn't be a super great impression, but he'd been quiet yesterday. She was tempted to beg him not to speak again.

"I heard they'd stunk of bleach when they were found," another voice supplied, changing the subject.

"Yeah and like apparently it had been flushed into you know where," a black haired girl spoke, clearly scandalized by the information she'd provided.

"What a way to go? Raped, bleached, and killed," a different guy provided, but Bailey didn't catch exactly where his voice came from. "They were hot blondes too."

"Don't be gross. Those poor girls died horribly, their memories deserve respect," a girl with glasses and black hair growled at the guy who'd spoken. "And I'm getting a little uncomfortable with this subject."

"Then leave."

"Now, now!" Mr. Welsh intervened. "It's not an appropriate topic. I apologize. Let's get started-"

Someone else decided to change the subject back. "Do you know how they died? I mean clearly they were tortured, but what actually killed them?" Mr. Welsh pretended to ignore them as he shuffled through papers on his desk. He was obviously very interested in this topic.

Bailey gave a sideways glance at the black haired girl, expecting more of a fuss, but the girl simply shrugged and pulled out a set of earphones. She stuck them in her ear and bobbed her head, tapping the tip of her sharpened pencil against the desk to the rhythm of whatever she was listening to.

The guy who'd etched 'like' into his vocabulary decided to comment again. Not before disgustingly shoveling in a bite of some type of cereal bar though. "One drowned in her own barf and dirt. I shit you not, dude. The other had her lips like sewn shut and had like tons of mud in her nose. It was like they'd been buried alive."

It was some trouble paying attention with all those damn 'likes' but when she caught up to what he was saying it reminded her of the Gravedigger segments in Bones, only real.

How freaky, Bailey thought before wishing the girls a better opportunity in death than what they'd been given in life.

"Okay," Mr. Welsh's voice cracked. His face had gone pale and he'd been so disturbed by where the conversation had been headed he almost looked like he'd be sick. Yet the interest on his face was clear as day. He wanted to continue talking about it. Clearly he was a glutton for punishment. "Let's talk about the killer. What type of guy would he be?"

They were going to profile?

How awesome was that?

"Crazy."

"He most likely started off abusing animals," Kate offered. "And probably has an unnatural relationship with his or her parents."

Mr. Welsh held up a hand. "All good usual assumptions, but lets think outside the box."