20: Hello Bad Things [3rd Draft]

"I know you're scared..." Bailey stopped as she watched Amanda shaking her head.

"This is more than fear, Bailey! I could get into serious trouble. Do you understand that? This has to be a felony."

"Asking questions is not a felony," Bailey said as she shoved some books into her book bag.

"What? Who's talking about asking questions? I'm talking about breaking into the police station. Yeah, you remember that thing you want to do tonight? That's what I'm talking about! You know, it doesn't even make sense that they aren't open twenty-four hours either."

"I've told you, Amanda, it's a small town where the Sheriff doesn't even keep his gun loaded. It's not Boston!"

"After what's happened in this town-"

"I know. They really need to consider it. Now, we can't talk about this anymore. I've got to get to school." Bailey quickly ran a brush through her hair before snapping it up into a messy ponytail.

Shifting the skirt of her uniform down and straightening her white tuxedo shirt she swung her backpack across her shoulders and marched to her bedroom door. Pausing, she waited for Amanda who remained glued to the spot on Bailey's bed, the place she'd collapsed when she'd come in that morning.

At 5 A.M.

After crying in Amanda's shoulders the night before Bailey had been roped into helping Amanda get her two bags of luggage from her rental car. What Bailey had originally thought to be the third floor guest room turned out to be Amanda's room, but Amanda knew nothing of traveling light. Heaving those bags up three flights of stairs was no picnic and Matt opted out, claiming they were too heavy for him.

The little booger.

Bailey knew better and while she would no longer fall for that crap, Gale and Amanda did. After that Bailey had gone to her room and had literally fallen asleep the minute her head hit the pillow, but at five o'clock in the morning was rudely awakened by Amanda.

Really it turned out for the best, because it had gotten Bailey's thinking gears into motion, hence, the whole breaking into the police station.

"Manda? Are you coming?" Bailey asked, her hand hovering over her door knob.

Amanda nodded slowly and stood up to follow.

Galloping heavily down the stairs, far ahead of Amanda, Bailey immediately followed the routine she'd had before Gwen had been taken, emphasizing every move, hoping to catch her mother's attention. It turned out the emphasis wasn't necessary because Gale's eyes never left Bailey.

"Sweetie, how are you feeling?"

Bailey turned to smile at her before shifting back around to pull out the carton of orange juice. "Better. I've realized how ridiculous I'm being."

Gale didn't say anything right away, but when Bailey reached to get Matt's box of cereal and a bowl she knew her actions had almost sealed the deal when Gale hugged her from behind.

"Don't let your brother catch you eating his cereal. He'll have a fit," Gale mumbled against Bailey's cheek before pulling away. "I don't expect a miracle, Bailey, so you can stop acting. It's the fact that you're trying to move on that will make me back off."

Bailey poured the milk into her bowl and managed to give her mother a sheepish look. "I am going to try," she offered, quickly taking a bite of her cereal.