02: Home [3rd draft]

AN: Want to clarify again that this is the 3rd draft. The first chapters in the book are fourth drafts, but I'm not posting anymore than that up! 

"You're gorgeous, smart, and funny, sometimes unintentionally. They'll be crazy not to like you at this new school, Bails," Gale said

You have to say that, Bailey thought to herself.

"I didn't say that because I had to either."

Bailey scoffed, "Mind reader."

Gale shrugged. "I'm your mother, did you expect anything less? Really, sweetheart, you shouldn't worry."

"I'm not worried," Bailey said.

It was true enough. At least, about what Gale thought she should be worried about. Bailey was more concerned with something else. That something started around her thirteenth birthday. At first her friends had thought it was cool, after all, Bailey hadn't always been right about her guesses. As that year progressed people became uncomfortable with it and then, very subtly, she wasn't asked to go to birthday parties anymore, or out to movies with friends.

Bryan, the hunk of seventh grade wouldn't even look her in the eye. Bailey thought it was because he'd liked her. When she asked him if he wanted to go to the movies with her, he'd never once looked her in the eye as he politely declined, saying he and his family were very devout Catholics.  To this day, Bailey wasn't sure what being Catholic had to do with going out to a PG movie.

It happened at her old school, it was going to happen here. No matter how much more control she had over her mouth. No matter how much she suppressed it. People didn't understand that it was just luck. Everybody makes lucky guesses. It's getting so many correct in a row that started to make them uneasy.

Gale glanced over skeptically. "Look at this as an opportunity to reinvent yourself."

Bailey frowned. It was probably a good thing, her thoughts being interrupted, but her family didn't understand, except her dad. Derrick had looked at her strangely a few times over the years. He'd even teased her for being so 'lucky' and 'smart'. He couldn't help her now, not that she needed it anyway. She didn't need anything from him.

"Mom, I don't-"

The GPS interrupted again before she could finish the sentence, letting them know they'd arrived at their destination. When Gale gasped with delighted approval, Bailey lifted her gaze towards the house as they pulled in to the driveway. Its design looked ancient but was preserved so well that it appeared brand new. Old and huge were the only words Bailey could think of. The dark and sky blue siding could've just been applied for all they knew. There were eight circular stark white columns surrounding the front door, four on each side of a set of matching stairs that broadened at the bottom.

"There's a balcony," Bailey whispered, thinking 'there is a God' and things were definitely looking up. "If that's a room, I call it!"

"No! We haven't even—" Matt immediately started to argue.

"I'm older, end of story."

"Mom!"

Gale shook her head, clearly on Bailey's side. "Mattie, I don't want you near a balcony at night. You sleep walk baby."

"I don't either," he mumbled, sounding highly offended as he shifted the green and brown blanket off of his lap when the car stopped. "I can't find my shoes." He complained as he bent forward, shuffling through the empty candy and chip wrappers.

Bailey smiled broadly and reached for her empty bottle of Dr. Pepper, throwing it childishly his way. "Twerp."

He lifted his chubby eleven-year-old face and gave her a master glare. Bailey was almost proud.