16: Zombie [3rd Draft]

Damien's moist, choppy breath spread against her neck.

Big, strong, powerful Damien Atherton was crying. He didn't cry. The Atherton's were a happy rich family and they didn't cry.

"No," Bailey whispered against his chest. "Don't cry, Damien."

"She's gone," he choked out.

Bailey dropped her arms to her sides, letting him pull her in tighter to his warmth. "No. She's not gone. You checked her bed right? She's just sick. It's cold, you should have a coat on," she whispered, raising her arms and rubbing her hands up and down his bare arms. Goose bumps ran down his tan arms.

"She's just sick, right Damien? Gwen's too strong for something like that to happen. I'll bet she's just taking a warm bath," Bailey said, letting out a laugh. She jerked away, her eyes wide with hope. "That's it! You just didn't check." Bailey shook her head at him with disapproval. "Damien, she's just in her bathroom!"

Bailey chuckled and ran to the side of the house, by-passing the yellow tape.

"No, Bailey..." she heard Damien's voice, but ignored it.

It was like a flower blossoming in her chest. They were all so stupid because the reality of the situation was that Gwen was sick and taking a bath... to clear her sinuses. Warm baths were always the cure for any type of sickness.

Bailey galloped up the spiral stairs towards Gwen's room. She entered without knocking and shifted through the mess, wondering if the Atherton's should have the cleaning lady come to help their daughter out. She shook her head.

"That's ridiculous, I can just do it. Gwen, only because you're sick will I be willing to clean your room for you," she called, lifting a wrinkled red top from the floor and tossing it into the laundry basket. "You know everyone's so worried about you. Even the cops are here! You've got to stop wearing headphones in there!"

"Bailey."

It was a soft whisper, a female whisper.

"Gwen?" Bailey stopped and turned towards the voice that sounded so much like Gwen.

Mrs. Atherton could've been Gwen's twin sister minus the shocking red hair. Mrs. Atherton would never dye her luxurious black locks. Bailey cleared her throat, hope clenching her heart like a fist. She bowed her head, scrubbing her damp cheeks before she bent to pick up some more clothes. "You guys are really stupid you know. She's just in the bathroom. She takes baths with her headphones on and-"

Bailey stopped again as she watched Damien walk in, her eyes wide as she followed his movements. When he walked past her, her eyes drifted shut and she inhaled his ocean cologne, letting it calm her. Bailey heard the sound of the bathroom door creak open.

she thought, but turned anyway. It was dirty, but empty.

"We've looked everywhere, Bails," Damien whispered. "We've been looking since midnight last night. The cops have been here since then. Our house has been blocked off for hours. She's --"

Bailey shook her head, dropping the hoodie she'd picked up, and walking over to Gwen's rumbled bed. "I'm tired," she whispered. "Just tell Gwen I don't want to go to school today okay? Okay, Mom?"

Gale gasped, shaking her head. "I'm so sorry about this! Bailey, come on honey, the Atherton's don't need this right now."

Bailey watched as Mrs. Atherton placed a hand on Gale's shoulder and shook her head. When Mrs. Atherton walked towards the bed Bailey thought she was about to get kicked out. She'd called them stupid... and on such a day.