05: The Real Me [3rd Draft]

Chapter Five: The Real Me

"Bailey!" a cheery voice called through the house. "Hello, Mrs. Roberts."

Bailey's mouth dropped open, the comb she'd been using to pick the tangles out of her hair froze with her hand, and she stared into her vanity mirror, watching shock flare into her own eyes. It had just been a single conversation last night. Long, but one. The hope at making and keeping a friend had long since drifted away, but now this? Bailey could feel the spark coming back.

She clutched her stomach as it churned. It was almost like déjà vu. It had happened before, someone trying to befriend her. They would make the effort, but after a while give up. Bailey was awkward, couldn't hold interesting conversations mainly because she never knew what to say, and when she did talk most of the time it didn't make sense. Then there were those other times. Those lucky guessing times. That's what really kept people away. The exception had been the other night. Bailey hadn't said anything awkward or strange and if she had, Gwen hadn't minded. She hadn't thought Gwen would come to her house before school though.

Bailey worried her lip. She couldn't help but wonder, when Gwen realized Bailey's strange ability to know things before they happened, how long it would be before Gwen dropped her like a bad habit? When she gave up on her, just like her other friends had.

After what had been going on with her father, Bailey didn't know if she could handle it this time around. She hated going through the motions. It wasn't like she wanted to be this way, she just was. The reality was why should she bother making friends when they inevitably disappoint? Why bother taking the chance of being hurt?

"Bailey," Gwen called out again. "We're going to be late!"

The sinking feeling in her stomach made her not want to go downstairs at all. She hated that she was so afraid. It was almost disgusting to her. Bailey listened to the melodic clear voice of Natalie Grant, realizing she couldn't agree more with her. "What a mess I've made of my existence," Bailey whispered, trying to ignore the tremor in her hands as she set the comb down.

She stood up, reaching for her hair accessories. Quickly copying the same hair do she'd had the other day before walking to the door. Bending down she reached for her book bag, hauling it onto her shoulder and clutching the strap to her chest. She took a deep breath, feeling the dread spreading through her.

. It was a stray thought she normally wouldn't let herself think, but it seemed to be recurring since she'd thought it the other day. Even though she was afraid from a past experience, she somehow knew that things this time be different. How different was the question.

"Hi! I hope you don't mind that I came to pick you up." Gwen practically attacked her as Bailey galloped down the stairs. "You're right on my way to school so I figured it would be a great opportunity to get to know each other more."

Bailey blinked away the images of her and Gwen laughing in front of a pool. It was happening again that magnetic pull she'd initially felt when she'd first seen Gwen. Bailey was even day dreaming about them in a pool. How ridiculous was that? But she knew she and Gwen were meant to be friends. Meant to know each other. She felt it with such a certainty chills slipped up her arms.

How strange...and repetitive.

"It's fine. Thank you," Bailey mumbled. "Breakfast?" She offered lamely.

"Actually, I was thinking we'd stop by Starbucks, get a muffin and a Java Chip Frap. It's absolutely to die for."

, Bailey smiled inwardly.

When they walked outside Bailey nearly did a double take at the expensive metallic gray Bentley gracing their new driveway.

"Lord, is that yours?"