13: Life Ain't Always Beautiful [3rd Draft]

Bailey gasped, desperately trying to balance the carrier of four coffees in her hands as Gwen came to an abrupt halt in front of the entrance to the police station. "Whoa, Gwen, hot coffee, you can't just stop-"

Gwen turned sharply and gave her a glare before hushing her. She took one hesitant step in and stopped again. She cocked her head to the side so that her bright red hair fell over her shoulders, brushing against the top of the coffees Bailey held. "Look at him Bails, he's like a god in uniform," Gwen whispered before taking in a deep, shaky breath, "even when he looks so tired."

Bailey frowned, her eyebrows drawing together as she examined Gwen's smitten look, the way her eyes moved back and forth like she was following someone moving. Bailey lifted her eyes in the direction Gwen was staring and she couldn't help but snort before bumping into Gwen to push her along. It wasn't unknown that Gwen had a crush on the sexy sheriff. It didn't stop her from dating, but every time Sheriff Lambert walked into a room her eyes were glued to his posterior and if that wasn't accessible then it was his cerulean colored eyes.

"Gwen, he wants coffee, not to be ogled."

Tilting her head back while biting her lip, Gwen tossed a look at Bailey and gave her a tiny smirk. "There's nothing wrong with ogling. If there was, men wouldn't be made like that."

"I'm not religious, but I agree," Gwen chuckled. "Good to know you appreciate someone besides my brother!"

Bailey swallowed as she felt her body flush red. Her fingers clenched the cardboard material of the carrier in her hands. She hadn't meant to say 'Amen' out loud. "Gwen."

"I know, I know. He's not within hearing range," she seemed to add the last bit.

Bailey searched the groups of people scattered around the office. It didn't take long to spot Damien leaning against the wall next to Officer Wilson. Bailey was innately drawn to him. Her eyes drank him in before she scolded Gwen. "He's here! He could've heard you."

"Don't get your Hello Kitty panties in a twist."

Bailey scoffed and lifted her nose up in defiance. "That was yesterday! Now I have puppies."

Gwen snorted. "I wonder what Damien would think. I happen to know he loves puppies."

That was why she'd chosen them. The man had a serious soft spot for animals and at one point Bailey had mentioned he should be a veterinarian.

"Coffee, coffee, you read my mind! Lovely Goddesses," Sherriff Lambert practically darted towards them the minute he sniffed the air. When he reached them, he quickly confiscated the tray, and turned towards the group of officers huddled over a file. Gwen let out a girlish giggle and she sashayed after him. "Wilson, help Bailey out."

Bailey blinked and glanced down at the tray of coffee in her hands. Oh. She'd forgotten about it.

"We have more in the car, figured you all would need it," Gwen smiled up at Sheriff Lambert.

Bailey grinned as Officer Wilson rolled his eyes and walked over to her, pulling the tray gently from her hands.

"And muffins, can't look for Sam on empty stomachs," Bailey provided, hoping that bringing up Sam would get Gwen to slow her flirtatious behavior, but Gwen was a flirter. She did it when she was nervous, when she was scared, when she was happy, it was who she was.

Sheriff Lambert did what he always did when Gwen poured out the unwanted attention, smiled down at her gently and patted her on the head before walking back over to the raccoon eyed Levy's who had been sitting huddled near a window next to Sheriff Lamberts office.