08: What I Really Meant To Say [3rd draft]

Between the recently turned lesbian practically clinging to Bailey's arm and the man who's heart she broke in her transition of coming out, was a place Bailey did not want to inhabit. At this point, she didn't want to talk to either of them. They needed to take this elsewhere.

"So, new girl, , you like guys, right?" He blurted the question out as he propped his chin on the palm of his hand and rested his elbow on the cafeteria tabletop.

This school was overflowing with stupid geniuses. It was a rare commodity.

"Boy, I wish you'd forget that," Bailey said, mumbling about the flashing incident yesterday. That wasn't a topic she wanted to speak about either, her face still burned with embarrassment from that, but it would be better than what was about to happen.

Out of the corner of her eye Bailey watched a smirk form on Damien's face as his gaze focused on her face. Butterflies in her stomach made her reach for the soda she'd purchased before sitting down. She quickly took a sip, thankful that the flush on her cheeks would be interrupted as embarrassment from yesterday and not from Damien.

Grayson chuckled. "Well, in all fairness to me, as much as I wish it true, it's not every day I get flashed," he said.

"What?" Bailey frowned. What had they been talking about again? "Hmm?" Damien had the power to render her almost speechless with one smirk. Bailey would have to stay away from him.

Grayson lifted a hand to his face, stroking his jaw as he contemplated something. "So you do like guys then?" he asked. "With the way you're eyeballing Damien I'd say yes. Damien is a pretty specimen isn't he? Still, I want to hear your answer. Out loud."

God

Bailey could feel the burning red flush spread from her face to her neck and she knew she'd never be able to look at Damien again.

"U-uh," was all she managed.

Grayson raised an eyebrow waiting for a confirmation he already knew. He seemed to enjoy the uncomfortable situation he was putting everyone at the table in. Gwen just bowed her head and remained silent, her hands folded in front of her. Damien and Oliver watched with uneasy interest. The tension in the air even made Willa and Seth pause in arguing, but only for a minute before they decided to scoot further away. Bailey wished she had that option now.

Her hands were clammy and her stomach turned. This was happening. "Uh..."

Kate groaned and dropped her head in her hands. "Grayson, please don't do this."

The comment took Bailey's attention away from the mortifying moment as she glanced towards the blonde once again. Would he listen to Kate? Trying to reason with him could make this situation worse.

"Well? It's a simple question, new girl," he said, completely ignoring Kate. "Do you bat for the same team?"

Bailey tilted her head to the side, eyebrows drawing together in confusion.

Bailey shook her head slowly, her mouth opening and closing twice before she actually responded. "I-I don't play football."

As she finished the sentence she realized what she'd said and grimaced. She wasn't going to live that one down. She'd meant to say baseball. She really wasn't that mentally challenged. Maybe the stupid-genius syndrome was rubbing off on her already. Clearly it wasn't as rare as she originally thought either.

Soda spewed out of Oliver's nose as he burst into laughter.

She felt the helpless thought squash any hopes of them forgetting this moment, but at least it took the attention away from her crushing on Gwen's brother. Damien was even shaking his head, laughter etched on his face.