07: Complicated [3rd draft]

"Katie, it is so nice of you to bring your cute ass over and sit with us today. Why don't you come and sit on me? My lap would be happy to see you."

Kate wasn't a regular at the popular table was Bailey's thought as she watched Oliver proposition her. In fact, it appeared that she'd never really sat with them upon closer inspection, but it didn't seem like anyone had a problem with it either. Oliver had looked surprised when he'd seen her walk up, but genuinely pleased to have her sit with them.

"Oliver." Gwen spoke in monotone as she stared him down.

He looked uncomfortable as he glanced down at his food. "Gwen." A casual response. Almost too casual, but Gwen must've had some power over him because he stopped his dirty talk. "So, uh, what brings you over here, Katie? You've never sat with us before," he asked, confirming Bailey's observation

"Bailey." She paused, letting them know that was the answer before continuing. "You guys should get a douche bag jar." Kate added with a breathy laugh as she sat right next to Bailey, so close in fact that their arms brushed. It was slightly uncomfortable considering the table wasn't even full. "Hey." She nodded.

Another fake causal gesture from anyone else at this table and Bailey was going to leave. The atmosphere was so thick with tension. Between Gwen and Oliver, especially, but Kate was acting funny... and sitting way to close to her. Bailey felt unreasonably hot with the uneasiness of the situation

Why Kate had warmed up so quickly to her, she didn't know. They'd only spoken in Psych and on the way to her Geometry class, but maybe that's just how some people were here. If this school had one person like Gwen, why couldn't they have another?

At least Gwen wasn't basically sitting on top of her though

Clearing her throat, she tried to ease some of the tension. "What's a douche bag jar?" Bailey asked, trying to think of how to pull away from Kate without being blatantly rude.

Kate tore her gaze away from the table and turned her pale green eyes to Bailey giving her a curious smile. "When he says something particularity douche bag worthy he would have to put money in a jar."

Gwen's eyes lit up like a light bulb and she clamped on the shifting atmosphere like a lion with claws. Clearly she'd been just as uncomfortable. "That's a fantastic idea."

"Oh come on!" Oliver cried out. "You can't gang up on me until my boys get here. This isn't fair."

Bailey cocked her head to the side, curiously watching Oliver. He was being unusually loud. Sure, from what Bailey could tell he'd been obnoxiously suggestive to females, but never loud. He hadn't been uncomfortable too, had he? Bailey shifted her gaze back and forth between Oliver and Gwen. Curious and curiouser.

Movie list: Star Wars and Alice in Wonderland. Bailey heaved a sigh. She had a feeling she wasn't going to have time to watch those anytime soon.

Kate pushed her books aside. "I forgot Grayson sits with you guys now."

"Didn't the two of you used to date?" Gwen asked, reaching forward to steal a chip from Oliver, who smirked up at her and smacked at her hand.

"Get off my chips woman!"

"Yeah, until this past summer," Kate said, swallowing as she glanced down at her hands.

"Grayson?" Bailey paused, feeling slightly relieved that Kate's 'funniness' wasn't because she liked girls. After all, Grayson was that guy... "Hey, he's that guy that-" Bailey started in outrage.

Gwen chuckled and reached across to the table to pat Bailey's hand. "Yes, that Grayson. He's really not as bad as Oliver can be though."

Oliver scoffed and spoke around the chips he'd just stuffed in his mouth. "Hey, you love me too much to really hate me." He paused, his expression surprised and almost hurt as he seemed to just realize what he said.