Trial & Error

We had grabbed Charlotte back from Shawn, said our goodbyes, and rushed back out to the car. Now, I'm dialing Dinah up and bringing my phone to my ear. Charlotte sits in the back seat, happily cuddling with Banana as she attempts to sleep. Lauren sits in the passenger seat, as we had to trade spots to be fair.

"Hey, Chancho." Dinah's voice cheerfully answers in my ear. "What's up?"

"We aren't going to be home for a few days or so, so can you check in on the house every now and then? Just to make sure it is still standing?" I ask, tapping my fingernails against the car door.

"Wait, why aren't you going to be home? Are you okay?" Dinah sounds nervous.

"We are fine," I chuckle, gazing over at Lauren who is staring longingly out the window, her head in her arm and her arm on the window's ledge. "But, you know how life is. Life throws you curve balls and sometimes you can't catch them. It's normal."

"Alright, then." Dinah sighs, still sounding leery. "I can check on the house whenever. Just, please, Walz, if you need anything, don't hesitate to call. I don't want you dead."

"Don't worry," I laugh softly, buckling myself up. "It's not that extreme. I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Chancho." Dinah warns me, sounding especially nerve-racked. "Please, stay safe."

"I will, Cheechee." I say sincerely. "I have to go now. Goodbye."

"Goodbye."

I turn on the car, turning the keys and pulling out of the parking lot. I'm very thankful for my wife's tendency to overthink everything, as a few months ago, she put a box of random things we may need into the trunk of our car. That includes extra clothes, which we will need now. When Charlotte moved into our house, she added some clothes for her as well. Brilliant, that's all I have to say.

"Any ideas?" Lauren asks suddenly, sighing as she sits straight up in her spot. The sounds of Charlotte's soft snores in the backseat tell me she is sleeping now.

"For?" I inquire, half-listening, half-focused on the road.

"What Charlotte's dominant element could be." Lauren prompts, her raspy voice coming out abnormally shaky. Concerned, I look over to her to see tears glittering in her eyes.

"Babe!" I exclaim, my features growing soft. "Why are you crying?"

"It's just a lot." Lauren whispers, slouching in her seat. She wipes a single tear away from her cheek, taking a deep breath. "Charlotte is apparently very dangerous. How can someone as sweet as her be dangerous? Also, what does it mean for us? What if she refuses to wear the ring?"

"She won't refuse it, Lauren." I assure her, my eyes flicking back to road before shifting back to Lauren. "Plus, Mr. Legend said it would all be okay. We have to trust him."

"Do you even trust him?" Lauren snaps, another tear sliding down her cheek. This time, she doesn't wipe it away. "I saw your face when he said it should all be good. You looked like you were contemplating your decisions!"

"We have to trust him, Lauren." I echo my words from before, ignoring Lauren's comment. "He knows what he is talking about. He has to know."

"What if there is another huge fight an-and Charlotte gets killed like Bea did? What if you get hurt? What if I get hurt? What if—"

"Stop it, Lauren." I feel tears prick in my eyes, leaving a strange burning sensation within them. "Don't think that way."

"What if"—tears begin to flow from my wife's eyes as she worries her pretty brain away—"they decide to kill all the sixth generations because of how dangerous they are? I can't lose her. I can't lose you. If I lost you, I'd lose myself. I can't lose me..." She takes a deep breath, trying to steady herself but fails as she chokes over her tears.