The Little Girl With Green Eyes

I carefully slide down the stairs on my butt, making sure I don't tumble forward. I hear Lauren laugh loudly from inside the living room, causing me to furrow my eyebrows at her.

"What are you doing, Camz?" She asks, lifting her eyes from the book she is reading.

"Not falling." I answer simply, getting to my feet once I'm on the final step. I mosey over to Lauren, jumping on top of her and wrapping my arms around her waist.

"Dork." Lauren says, shifting her eyes back to the words in her book. I scoot closer to her head, nuzzling my face into her neck. I peer at the words in the book, not bothering to read them. I melt onto my wife's body, lifting my leg over her's and completely relaxing.

"I love you." I murmur into her skin, sighing contently. Lauren bends her neck slightly, kissing my head gently.

"I love you, too, babe." Lauren responds, flipping the page of the book. I feel her muscles ripple slightly as she moves her arm, causing me to become slightly uncomfortable again. She then lifts her arm out from under me, draping it around my shoulders and pulling me close.

Just as I'm getting comfortable again, the door bell rings. "Can you get it?" Lauren asks, her eyes not leaving the page. I roll my eyes, getting up anyway. I stalk over to the door, opening it to reveal a tall man.

"You are Lauren Cabello-Jauregui, yes?" The man ponders aloud, cocking an eyebrow. His boney hands beckon someone else over from the side.

"No, I'm Camila Cabello-Jauregui." I answer, glancing over at my wife who is now looking up from her book. "My wife is Lauren. Who are you?"

"I'm Steve," the older man addresses himself as another, younger man appears next to him. The younger boy has his hands out and his head turned toward our driveway. "And this is Cody."

"Hello." Cody whips his head around to greet me, shifting his gaze back to normal afterwards. "C'mon, Charlotte." Cody groans quietly, gesturing toward the door. "Come here, please."

Slowly, a small figure makes its way next to the tall men. She has short, curly, light-brown hair and an expressionless face. She hugs a yellow monkey close to her chest. The little girl lifts her large, bright eyes to meet mine. I'm startled by how dark green her irises are.

"We're just here to drop her off. This is permanent placement, right?" Steve asks, glancing over at the little girl. Lauren appears at my side, her eyes glued to the child next to Cody.

"We-we aren't sure." I stammer, my eyes not leaving the little girl either.

"Okay, well, give us a call when you come to your conclusion." Steve shrugs, nudging Cody with his elbow. "We'll be on our way." Before the man turns away, Cody sets a small bag down in our doorframe as Steve walks away.

Cody gets to one knee, placing his hand on the child's shoulder. "Charlotte, you will be staying here for now. Okay?"

"Okay." The little girl's voice squeaks, her tone soft and small. Cody grins, patting Charlotte's shoulder before dipping his head to us and rushing after Steve.

Charlotte turns to us, her eyes wide. Lauren is the first to move; she grabs the bag the man left, slinging it over her shoulder. I step to the side suddenly, gesturing inside.

"Come inside," Lauren suggests, exchanging glances with me. "It's warmer indoors."

Charlotte flashes me a glance, slowly walking inside. I silently close the door behind us, not wanting to scare the surprisingly small child. I can't believe she is four years old; she looks Alyssa's age, and she just turned three.