Chapter Fourteen

In the weeks it takes Slestiya to settle in, I begin to show. In the clothes I tend to wear, fitted as to not inhibit movement, it is becoming obvious that I am nearly four months pregnant.

Slestiya has acclimated smoothly into our home, and for that, I am very grateful.

When I go to the library and to Jacobi, she stays with Daniya, who absolutely adores her.

Majhul is still reserved about the child, and Ana is currently in Belfast looking for her clue.

Ajana and Xander are back in London temporarily, looking after their bookstore. They are now expecting their first child.

I'm not sure that they will ever return to Faelus. They seem happy with their lives, other than wanting to know the truth of their histories.

"I have some bad news," Delaine tells me one day.

"I'll be in the library soon," I respond before yelling for Daniya.

Once Daniya has taken Slestiya upstairs to the loft, I take myself to the library.

Jacobi is there with her.

"What has happened?"

"Wesley was found."

"No."

Delaine nods. "He died fighting the soldiers."

"What about Slestiya's mother?"

"She died in childbirth." Delaine takes hold of my hand and squeezes. "You're Slestiya's family now."

"I don't... I can't... I don't know anything about raising a child," I stammer.

Delaine gestures toward my stomach. "You would be learning soon enough regardless."

"It's... Too sudden," I whisper.

Jacobi wraps an arm around my shoulders and pulls me close to him. I lean my head on his shoulder.

"You'll do great," he murmurs into my ear.

"Bring her to the library," Delaine instructs. "I want to see if her memories are triggered."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea," I rebut, causing Delaine to raise a brow. "She's settling in pretty good right now. It would confuse her if her memories were triggered." I paused to gather my thoughts and run a hand through my hair. "She's scared enough right now, having no memories. I don't want her to remember running and dying. It's bad enough she'll see it in dreams, Delaine.

"I don't want her to know it's actually happened right now. She's just too young."

Delaine smiles. "See, your maternal instincts have already kicked in. You are already a good mother to Slestiya. I would even go so far as to say you'd do anything to protect her. Would you not?"

"I would," I let out.

She nods and gestures around the library. "When I find the portals, all of our kind will join us. Slestiya will grow up with two amazing parents and a baby sister. When she is old enough, you will tell her of her family, but you are now her mother. Until the day you die."

"Until the day I die," I repeat, knowing that what Delaine says is truth.

Slestiya has been my child since I tracked her in the Netherlands and brought her to Louisiana.

And she always will be.

<> <> <>

I'm shaking right now. Delaine is preparing the spell as I write this. I wish I knew more about the ritual.