Chapter Fifty-Three

Marius sits in the Café Musain, writing passionately. I peer over his shoulder before grabbing the paper from his grasp.

"Whatcha writing?" I playfully ask.

"Give that back!" Marius tries to take back the paper from me, but to no avail. I catch sight of the writing on the note, and my face drops.

"Marius..." I shake my head.

"What?" He tries to grab the paper again, but I fling my arm away from him so he can't get it.

"Eponine died four hours ago, confessing her love for you. And you're going to send this note? To Cosette?!" I shriek. "FOUR HOURS!"

"Get off my back, Juliette..." Marius answers sternly.

"I'm not on your back –" I try to protest, but he cuts me off.

"One of my best friends just died...I'm just trying to find some comfort..." He looks at me, looking more serious and solemn than he's ever looked at me before. "Just let me have this...please. Don't you think I know it's been four hours? I'm never going to be able to wipe that image of Eponine, lying there in the pool of her blood. I'm never going to forget the feel of her blood on my flesh, and the way the air left her body, leaving her lifeless in my arms. I will never wipe the memory of that from my mind..." I stand frozen, unable to respond, my fingers still clutching Marius' letter. "So please, I just need you to be supportive...I don't need you to make me feel worse than I already do...I need you to just be my sister..." He stops, looking at me, no more words left inside him. I choke back a few tears, and nod willingly at him. "May I have my letter?" I silently hand the letter back to him, and he walks towards Gavroche, who has found a Gavroche-sized hole in the barricade, and is snuggling in there with a blanket wrapped around him.

"Gavroche!" Marius calls towards him, and Gavroche's blonde curls poke out of the hole. "Can you do me a favour?"

My body involuntarily tilts forward, as if my feet want to move to stop Gavroche from going and to tell Marius to find someone else to go. But, considering that I've just vowed my support to Marius, it would not help matters for me to undermine him just now. Enjolras, sensing my worry, joins me at my side, delicately placing his hand on my arm.

"What is it?" He asks.

"He's sending Gavroche on an errand", I reply, not able to tear my eyes away from Marius talking to Gavroche, who nods eagerly in agreement, happily accepting the letter from Marius.

"An errand?" Enjolras follows my gaze.

"To deliver a letter. I don't think we should let Gavroche go..." I sigh.

"Then don't", he answers, as if I hadn't thought of that.

"I wish it were that easy..." I fold my arms. "Marius!" I call him over. "Are you sure that's a good idea? Sending Gavroche out on his own?" I'm unable to hide the worry from my voice.

"He'll be fine", Marius wafts his hand as if it's no big deal.

"I'll be okay!" Gavroche adds, almost chirping with excitement and confidence.

"See!" Marius points to Gavroche, proving his point. I bite my lip, thinking it over in my mind, my arms still folded across my chest.

"Please?" Gavroche pouts, batting his eyelids. "I'll be careful!"

"Fine..." I give in.

"YES!" Gavroche punches the air before going to run off, but I grab him by the collar, stopping him from getting away before I've finished.

"But you go straight there, and then come right back. You hear me?"

"Yes, Ma'am", he smiles cheekily, offering a little salute.

"Right, off you go then..." I release my grip on his collar, letting him go.

"Stay safe, Gavroche. Go quietly and try to stay hidden", Enjolras instructs him.

"I will! I'm small!" Gavroche says proudly. "Us little people – we're good hiders!" He runs away, his blonde hair bouncing as he runs, the letter glued to his hand. Enjolras hugs me to him as we watch Gavroche disappear, like we have done so many times before. But this time pulls at my heart more than any of the others, weighing it down.

"He'll be okay..." He whispers to me, resting his head on mine. "He'll come back. He always does..."