Autumn's Concerto 2

I was up before my alarm the next morning and turned it off before it woke Sue. I dressed in the dark and pakced my bag for the day, taking out my envelope of money and putting some of it and my tips aside in a hidden drawer where my money stash had been put away. I felt the heavy weight of money collected and then hid it away again, reaching for the bobby pins to put my hair up with, stuffing a few in my mouth as I unlocked my door. I tiptoed past Sue and Peter's room and out the door as quietly as possible.

I caught the 4:30 bus and settled myself in the middle seat, glancing out into the still dark sky and knowing it was going to be a long day.

The bus was delayed because of a family of ducks crossing the street and when it parked two blocks from the restuarant I knew I either had to run or be late. I was there two minutes to spare and greeting Mr. Webber as I bypassed him to the back where Eric was getting the grill hot.

"Hey, Bella." He greeted.

"Hi." I answered. "Want any help?"

"Nah, I got it." He said, spreading oil over the top. "But Boss was saying how he wanted the tables prepared."

"On it." I tied my apron as I went and started putting the chairs down and organizing the condements. The early birds were coming in for their breakfast before they left for work and some of the tables and orders had to be ready before they even got here. Later on it would get so busy, I would hardly be able to clean the tables. Get them prepared now and later I'd be able to get through the day with no problem.

The bells above the door rang. "Welcome to Webber's." I said with my back turned, wiping down the final table. "May I help you?"

"Nope. I'm just here to see how you're doing."

I turned at the familiar voice. "Jake!" He smiled huge and opened his arms. "Jake," I warned, "I'm on the clock."

"Aw, c'mon. No one's here yet."

I rolled my eyes but gave in, giving him the huge hug he got every morning. "Why are you up so early?" I asked him, tucking my rag in the pocket of my apron.

"Are you always going to ask this question every morning?" He asked, sitting down at the counter.

I shrugged. "I feel kind of responsible for you being up at the crack of dawn when you could be sleeping."

"Psh." He waved his hand. "I don't sleep. Remember, I'm eighteen. Sleep is for the weak." A loud rumble came from him and I laughed.

"I suppose food is for the weak too?"

"Damn straight." He laughed. "But I wouldn't say no to some sausage." He fished for his wallet, handing me five dollars.

"Jake, the sausage is two."

"I know. You keep the change."

I made a face. "Jake, no. You're already letting me borrow books."

"Think of it as a tip then."

"Jake-"

"Fine." He took the five back and pulled out two folded bills. "Happy?"

"Yes." I took them and put them in cash register." An order of sausage." I called to Eric. I started cleaning the counter for something to do. "How are you enjoying school? Making good grades?"

"Bells, just because you're two months older does not mean you can act like my mother."

"What? I'm just asking." I flicked the towel at him. "You're mother's not here so someone has to make sure you stay in line."