Chapter 9

I park my car in the car park and get out with Zeke

I park my car in the car park and get out with Zeke. It's my first day back at school since the whole incident, so it doesn't surprise me that as soon as I step out of my car, all eyes are on me. I look ahead and see my group and smile as they holler walking over to me.

"Look whose back in the building! Miss Channing Lewis!" Morgan yells coming over and hugging me, as do the others. "Are you wearing heels?" He asks.

"Thought I'd do something a little different. Besides, these are one of the only pairs I can actually wear without my feet hurting and I can walk in." They all laugh and we head inside, still gaining looks from fellow students and hearing them 'whisper' to each other. I get everything from my locker and as I close it, I see the schools anger management teacher Mr Hale.

"Ah, Miss Lewis. I've been told by our Principle that you will be attending anger management classes for the next few weeks. Follow me." He instructs and walks away.

"You're kidding?!" I exclaim following him.

"No I am not. You were meant to attend them last year, but somehow you managed to skip. We won't let it slide this time, you assaulted a student." He comments.

"Who assaulted another student! Why the hell isn't she here?!" I ask as we walk through the door. I see Archer and sigh, great just what I need.

"Because that was a first time offence. This is your 5th in this school." He says looking at my record and I roll my eyes. "And lets not forget middle school, we all heard about that." He says.

"The person still feels it too." I comment and he gives me a stern look as I sit down. 

~*~*~*~*~

I look at my Principle as he looks at me sternly. 

"You managed to get kicked out of anger management. On your first day. How does one person do that?" He asks.

"Hey, I didn't know throwing a chair against the wall was against the rules. The rules were I wasn't allowed to hit anyone, it was either break the chair or get expelled." I say.

"You were asked to meditate." He responds.

"And I did, but it just made me even angrier. Look, meditation isn't really my thing." I answer.

"What about meditation isn't you thing?" He asks.

"The part where you have to sit in a funky, uncomfortable position on the floor and listen to irritating music and some lady tell you to breathe in and out in a really annoying, slow voice comes to mind." I answer. 

"Look, Miss Lewis. I know you're going through a tough time right now..." He says, but I cut him off.

"No you don't, so don't even try and sympathise with me. And what happens outside school is none of your business." I respond.

"Your father is concerned about you." He says.

"If he's that concerned, that's something he can bring up with me. But maybe, if you opened your eyes and saw, I'm not the most vile student here as you portray me to be, I wouldn't be here all the time. Do you know half of the stuff, Laurel and her crew have done? Shoving heads down the toilets, getting smart kids to do her work, publicly humiliating people, cornering and attacking younger students and I punch one person for putting their hands on my friend and I'm suspended?" I ask. "Maybe you and the teaching staff are the problem." I grab my bag and walk out and head back home. 

~*~*~*~*~

My music is playing as I lay in bed with Buster, on my laptop scrolling through social media. I hear a faint knock and my dad walks in. I take my earphone out and look at him.

"I hear anger management didn't go well today?" He asks.

"It wasn't anger management, it was the cause of all anger." I answer and he laughs slightly before walking into my room and sitting on the bed, stroking Buster. 

"Look, I know it's going to take a while to adjust, with your mum not being here..." He says.

"No. Lets not go down this road. I could care less that she's gone, she was never here to begin with and never cared about either of us. You may be finding it hard, you were married to her for god knows how many years, but I have my own way of dealing with things and that's accepting them and moving on." I comment.

"OK, then. Well, I have to go to work, they just called me and a huge case has come up, will you be OK?" He asks.

"Always am." I answer and he nods, getting up and kissing me on the head before leaving. I decide to watch a movie and read a book, before finally deciding to go to bed. I shut off my light and cuddle up with Buster.

*Sorry this is such a short chapter. I want to send my thoughts to anyone who has been affected by the Manchester Bombings. I only live a few hours away from Manchester and I am grieving with you all. I hope if any of you have been affected by the bombings, my stories will bring you some relief or comfort. That is what I've always loved and appreciated about storytelling. ~Mackenzie*