Bitten

CHAPTER THREE

20 years agoEast Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana

20 years ago
East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana

An eight year old Ellie Danvers sat on the short, green grass playing with her new doll. She looked up at her mother as she struggled to clip the large banner saying "Welcome Home Daddy" to the wire.

"What's troublin' you, Clayton?Aren't you excited to see your daddy?" Her mother asked her twin brother from where he sat at the old table.

"I guess." Eight year old Clay mumbled.

"He's dyin' to see you. He went clear 'round the world to save people in Somalia. Let's give him a hero's welcome. What do you say?" Their mother asked in her strong southern accent but she was answered with a shrug of Clay's shoulders. "You're always gonna be my darlin' little man, Clay. Now and forever."

Young Ellie watched sadly as her mother placed a comforting hand on Clay's face. The women's face was covered with pride, joy and happiness but it seemed she had most likely forgotten about Ellie again.

"Okay?" Their mother asked Clay.

"Okay." Clay agreed with a light smile.

"All right, go on. Play. Daddy won't be home for a few hours." The mother nodded towards the large field as Clay excitedly rushed out of his seat and towards his sister. "Ellie go with your brother." Her mother demanded.

Ellie quickly stood up and waited for her brother to come closer before she ran anywhere. Her mother was eyeing Ellie's dirty and worn out clothes and her braided hair. Ellie carefully tried to avoided her mother's hard gaze afraid she might be punished again.

 Ellie carefully tried to avoided her mother's hard gaze afraid she might be punished again

Ellie quickly followed once Clay snatched her arm and pulled her with him. She looked back at her mother who looked at Clay with so much pride. When her eyes found Ellie's they hardened suddenly and daggers were thrown Ellie's way.