Chapter 18: A Daring Weekend

When Avery strolled into the night class dormitory, the first thing he did was lick his lips. The taste was beginning to fade but the hunger was persistent. The violet haired night student could only imagine the pleasure of draining y/n's life.

And imagine he did. The thought sent urges to his canines and a glaze over his blue eyes.

Avery hummed to himself and made his way upstairs, to his room. No... he wouldn't kill y/n. Not yet anyway. Her blood was simply too precious. Walking into his room, the boy chuckled to himself.

Now all he'd have to do is make sure none of the others got in his way.

~
"There's a time and a place, y/n." A voice startled you from above.

Swinging upside down from the branch of the tree in front of you was a blonde haired night student. You rolled your eyes.

"Bel, what are you doing here?" You asked, stopping in your tracks. The forest surrounding you was serene and abundant. You hadn't explored as much as you'd have liked in your first week here, and going for a morning walk in the woods seemed like a fine idea.

"I happen to go here." Bel said, pointing at his uniform. The boy fell from the tree and landed swiftly on his feet.

"Very funny," you sighed with a smile, "I was just going for a walk. Wait- were you just in this tree waiting for someone to walk by-"

"There isn't much to do in the night class during the day, silly." He replied, closely studying your eyes with his silver ones.

"You know, everyone makes Cadere seem like such a scary guy, yet you and the others all galavant outside the night dorms at will," you laughed.

"He's been a bit preoccupied recently... school stuff." Bel clarified. "What happened to your hand? Again?"

Belmont took your injured hand from yesterday and grazed his thumb over your palm. You wore a thin but effective bandage over it from your embarrassing fall with Avery yesterday.

"Oh, I fell, I'm kind of stupid." You told him. "I'm like those female protagonists in dumb vampire novels who are really clumsy and stuff, only I'm actually clumsy," you thought out loud, "and no vampires are interested in me."

Belmont looked up at you with an unreadable expression, as though he was trying to tell you something with his eyes. He took a step closer.

"Y/n, I know you're new here and making friends, but I think you should stick with people from the day class." Bel said.

His voice, usually so full of humor and frivolity, contained no playfulness whatsoever. You had to take time with his words to determine where this side of Bel was coming from.

"Are you saying you don't want to be friends with me?" You asked, confused.

"No, no, y/n. I just- well, I know Avery. And he's a trouble maker." Belmont said, holding your shoulders. He didn't seem to want you to look anywhere but into his eyes.

"So are you." You countered, raising an eyebrow.

"No, y/n, I'm not." Belmont shook his head. "I mean, I am, but... just... just watch your back, okay?"

You looked at him, his eyes appearing green in the light.

"I'm serious." He said.

You broke into a huge grin.

"Hi serious, I'm y/n."

The boy's heavy gaze was slowly replaced by a shy grin.

"Nice to meet you y/n," he said, playfully punching your arm. "Actually I'm looking out for you, but you can call me Bel."