Chapter 3: Rebellion & Red Hair

Not far off in the night...

"What are you staring at?" A male voice called from the darkness.

A boy with golden blonde hair in a black school uniform stood by the window on the third floor, rocking back and forth on his heels with his hands behind his back.

"You should know better than to sneak up on me, Roman." The blonde said without taking his eyes off the window. He spoke with an air of mischief. "Shouldn't you be in class?"

"Shouldn't you?"

The owner of the other voice stepped into the moonlight. Side by side with the blonde, the orange haired boy seemed a fair bit taller.

The artificial tension was broken by both boys' heartfelt laughter.

"Cadere is probably giving some kid hell from the day class." The one named Roman was saying.

"Of course," the blonde groaned sarcastically. "Pooor DAY students. How DEVASTATING it is that they must endure Cadere for all of ONE night."

The blonde pretended to faint and Roman burst into laughter once again while the other lied on the floor, chuckling.

"You're lucky Cadere isn't here, Bel." Said Roman with a smile. "But considering he isn't here, shouldn't you be doing something more fun than staring out a window?"

The blonde named Bel rose to his feet and dusted himself off.

"Actually, I was waiting for something." Bel said with a deceitfully innocent smile.

"Yeah?" Inquired Roman, raising an eyebrow. "Did you have a visison?"

Bel shook his blonde head.

"Nope!" He said with glee. "But I took something that wasn't mine. What better time to make friends than on the first day of school?"

The red-head rolled his eyes but his smirk matched his friend's.

"So you're expecting company?" Roman asked, playing along.

"That's right." Bel said, turning his attention back towards the window. "And who knows?" His eyes narrowed towards the day class dormitory visible in the distance, "maybe they'll bring a snack."

Not far off, the castle floors struggled to submit to the silence being asked of them. And what's more, since it was after curfew, the torches were almost all blown out. But... you weren't scared of the dark. At least, not as much as the man in the cape who Simone was determined to avoid.

"So what's his deal anyway?" You whispered to Simone.

You felt her hit you in the side of your arm. "Ow..." You muttered.

"You're asking me questions now?" She hissed.

"Sorry..." You said, rubbing the spot.

You had just meandered through the landscape of the dorm as discreetly as possible. Now you were at the foot of the bridge. The very large bridge. Aka the only thing standing between you and a very water death.

"Simone..." You whispered aggressively. "I don't think this is a good idea."

She held up a hand to silence you.

"I'm responsible for second years," she said, staring ahead. "If Cadere finds out I lost your things, I'll lose my title for sure."

"What about if he finds out we snuck out after curfew?" You tried not to raise your voice. You began pacing back and forth. "I thought this was about helping me!"

"It is," Simone said with a shrug. "You would get lost. And I would get in trouble."

You looked at her like she was crazy.

"It's a win-win." She said. "I don't see what there is to worry about as long as we get your stuff."

You didn't understand how she could see anything with those black bangs covering her eyes.

"Come on, we're already this far." She pleaded.

Simone was right. And you didn't come to Arcadia Castle to be trapped inside all the time anyway. If you were going to be royalty, you wanted to be free royalty. And sometimes, even royalty has to rebel.

Crossing the bridge was easier said than done. The moon was being covered by clouds and the once starry sky was now naked above what little glow the castle still emitted.

And in the distance, separate from the bridge you were on- was the night class dormitory.

How odd you found it, that even in the dark of night, the night class still didn't have any lights on to study. Perhaps they had a day off as it was their first day arriving too...

"Keep up," ushered Simone.

You made it to the small area dividing the two dorms, as well as Arcadia Plaza further up ahead.

"I can't believe this is still here," Said Simone.

She held up the lantern that Cadere carried when he led you to the dorms. Surprisingly, it was still lit.

"That'll come in handy," she said.

"Simone, isn't there a patrol or something to stop us from getting over that bridge?" You posed concern.

But Simone shook her head.

"There are other ways." She said, looking out at the night class dormitory.

"We can cut through the plaza," she said, taking your hand and leading you through the columns and archways with fireless torches.

You had just made it to the unlit plaza when you stopped to catch your breath. But not before a playful voice sent chills up your spine.

"Somebody's not where they're supposed to be."