Chapter 2: Arcadia Castle

You mustered up as much confidence as possible, before picking up your carry on, and stepping off the train.

Eleanor stopped behind you, but he wasn't the only one awestruck at how enchanting the castle was in the starlight.

It wasn't until a gentleman in a dark cloak and matching hat strode forward and commanded the attention of everyone within eyesight that the group focused on him instead.

"Students, of the day class at Arcadia Castle Academy..." he said with a sly smile, "on behalf of all of us here, I welcome you; those returning, and those here for the first time."

At that, the man's eyes flickered to you beneath the shadow of his hat. It was for a fraction of a second- or maybe he just knew you were an unfamiliar face. Eleanor was behind you. The chances were that the new students had found each other.

"Now if you will do so kindly as to follow me," the man said, holding up his lantern and turning around without looking back, his cloak gliding across the cool night air.

He didn't wait for anyone to follow him- he was already striding toward a series of amber glowing steps.

The crowd quickly followed and Eleanor walked by your side, near the middle of the crowd but closer to the front.

You exchanged a glance, as if to say, "who is this man?" but Eleanor shrugged, and kept his skepticism to himself.

But you weren't alone. You could hear the other students murmuring about this cloaked enigma.

"I don't know-"

"It's like the fog follows him when he walks..."

"He might as well be the Phantom of the Opera-"

Suddenly, Eleanor added his voice to the mix.

"I've heard of him." He said quickly to you, still focusing on the figure up ahead. "Maurice might have mentioned him."

You continued walking over the hill of glowing steps and began to cross intriqutely crafted archways joined with the trees. Torches lit the way, but they still couldn't compete with the darkness.

"When Maurice was at school, he'd sometimes write about this mysterious man who dressed like Snape."

You laughed at the notion. You could see it.

"Maurice described this fellow as a reaper of sorts," Explained Eleanor hesitantly. "Most students stayed away from him, but Maurice constantly tried to go over to the night class to talk to the girls. That's where the guy usually spent his time."

You raised an eyebrow.

"Patrolling the night class, not around the girls." Eleanor clarified.

Everyone followed until the last of the steps took you to one of the castle towers. It was magnificent. The marble was laid out with other ancient looking stone. But you didn't climb the tower, you just proceeded onwards towards the centre of the school.

The darkness ceased against the brighter light in this section of the castle. A few students strode by in their navy blue uniforms.

"Day students." Whispered Eleanor when he saw you looking at them.

This area was like a small town all on its own. At the center, was a large fountain with a statue of a woman pouring water from a vase into the rest of it. Different towers and sections hugged the plaza that graced the center of the school. It was rather like being at a university, you thought. If Hogwarts were a university.