Chapter 15: A Wet Weekend

Whatever happened, this wouldn't be the last of it. That's how you felt. Before you could get the whole story from Eleanor, the boys were sent to their rooms, and the girls were sent to theirs.

Simone, along with the other prefects, were talking to the teachers and before you could ask Simone what happened when she came back to you room, you had fallen asleep. Despite everything- you were exhausted.

The next morning was your first weekend at Arcadia Castle. When you woke up, the first thing you did was go to breakfast as Simone was no where to be found.

"Y/n!" Eleanor called to you from the table.

You ran over there and had a seat across from him. Most of the hall was empty.

"Eleanor- what happened last night?" You asked.

"I went for a walk near the woods and just found this... girl... and she was covered in blood and I screamed- ran to the dorm for help." Eleanor told you. He shuddered. "It was terrifying. I looked for vital signs, and she was breathing. But her neck..."

"What kind of animal do you think did it?" You asked.

"That's what I don't understand." Eleanor said, pushing up his glasses and folding his arms.

"Me neither," you agreed. "I didn't think animals that dangerous would go near people-"

"No," Eleanor shook his head. "I mean, it was violent enough to have been an animal... but most animals would have ripped into the flesh instead of... well, she lost a lot of blood."

You thought about this, but didn't say anything.

"And despite the blood around her collar and neck, any wounds were relatively healed." Eleanor shook his head. "I could almost say a snake would be more likely to have done this, the bite marks looked like- but that doesn't work either."

"When she wakes up, we should go talk to her!" You suggested as your eyes lit up.

"Good idea," he replied.

"I think you'll make a great doctor one day, Eleanor." You told him.

"Thanks y/n." He said, beaming.
~

I should have seen this coming. I alone can protect the students here at Arcadia Academy- even if they don't always deserve it.

I saw what Avery did to y/n. It infuriates me that he got a taste of her before I did. Had y/n not been there, there's no telling what I would have done. Cadere might take pity on us but I don't. Especially not Avery.

He abused his life as a human and now he's abusing his life as a vampire. But after all- that's what we are. That's who we are.

And it's up to us to survive, now.

At least Lucian had the common sense to seek me out. He saw y/n's blood, fled through the library passages to our dorm, and I knew I had to find y/n right away. She's lucky I did. Avery is unpredictable.

I'll have to punish the others for this. For mangling a student in broad daylight and leaving her for a human to find. You'd think being centuries old would teach you something but apparently not.

Besides, they needed my help. And if we were forced to stay inside during the weekend, I would have to sneak out to see y/n. It's better this way. I blamed the incident on one of the female night students. Cadere will be drilling them all weekend while we remain out of trouble... for now.

Perhaps it is better that y/n becomes conditioned to this... the sooner she comes to understand reality, the sooner I can take her. And who knows... she might even make a fine night student.