Chapter 2

Being forced in a band with the most unlikely people, having earned Nathan as a friend and watched the bad boy of the school being beat up by his old man in just one day. How times have changed...

It literally took Mr. Foreman, my dad, Jason's father, and even Nathan's grandma to pull Mr. Caper off of his son. It was a bit entertaining to watch, I admit. A boy who shoved almost every nerd who walks his way into the lockers being tackled by his father. But the felt guilty once Kyle stood up. It was horrifying. Bruises started to grow on his cheek, neck and other places. Blood started trickling down the small cut on his lips.

Well, now I know where he gets his injuries from.

"I hate him." I heard him mutter softly when I started dabbing his cut clean. I never thought I'd do this to him after seeing him do stupid stuff countless times, but he looked so fragile when his old man hurt him like that. And the thought of this incident happening to him again at home...when no one was watching...it scared me.

He was sitting on the floor of the clinic, while Jason and Nathan were sitting on the waiting bench across from him. Mr. Foreman had told us to accompany Kyle as he had his bruises and cuts taken care of by the nurse while he continues talking with our parents - and grandma - in his office. But after minutes of insisting, the nurse had enough of Kyle and gave up on him. I took the liberty of doing what the nurse was supposed to do and when Kyle didn't protest, I took it as a 'yes you may serve as my nurse.'.

"I don't blame you." I say, shoving the blood stained handkerchief in his hand and standing up to my feet.

"I don't like my 'rents either bro." Jason ran his hand through his messy hair. "My dad never took a second to act like a real dad, and my mom walked out on me."

"I only have my grandma." Nathan shrugged, and all of us laughed.

"What about you, huh?" Kyle nodded at me, turning so that he was facing my direction.

I've always hated people. Communication with people, in general. Jeremy's an exception, of course. I grew up with the guy. But I never had a problem with my parents. They always cared for me, asked the most annoying questions and gave me the attention I deserved but didn't want. Sure, there were some tough times but I will never be like the three people in front of me. I had something I didn't want, that they desperately needed...attention. It was all clear now, why Nathan always worked for an A in all subjects, why Kyle threw these tantrums at the wrong people, and why Jason was so in love with the fact that he had fans.

"I hate them." was my answer. I've always believed that having someone who had the same problems as you do makes you feel better. And turns out, I was right to lie. Their lips turned up into a smile.

"Why would he do that to you anyway?" Nathan asked, turning to Kyle.

Kyle looked up at him and shrugged. "Dunno. He's mad at me, I guess."

"For what? For being able to sing?" with his head laid back on the wall, Jason's brows furrowed.

Ever so slightly, I saw Kyle wince. "Don't say that out loud. It's embarrassing."

"Well you can sing, Kyle." I pointed out. "Why would that idiot want you to go to that competition, bringing the school name with you and risk the chance to win the money?"

"Hmph." he shrugs again.

There was a short moment of silence, creating a slightly awkward aura around the four of us. 

"Dudes, you do know there's space for four on the bench, right?" Jason grinned, looking at me and Kyle.

I realized for the first time that I was just standing awkwardly. I sat next to Jason, laughing inside my head but Kyle remained seated on the tiled floor. Then, there was another moment of silence.