Chapter 19

Lestrade had arrived on time to pick up Kairi. She was wrapped up in her calf length pea coat and a scarf as he guided her out into the cold night. They hopped in his car and were making their way towards a small italian restaurant that Lestrade was recommended by a friend from the Yard. Kairi made him promise that it wasn't Anderson who did the recommending and Lestrade just laughed and promised her as such.

As nervous as Kairi was, she had to admit it was always easy to talk to Lestrade. He was conversational, funny, and more outgoing than her so it was easy to sit back, listen to him talk and crack a few jokes here and there. The drive was filled with mostly simple chatter, probably saving more interesting conversation for dinner.

When they arrived at the restaurant and parked, Lestrade, ever the gentleman, opened her door for her and helped her out. They chatted some more about the restaurant itself which was a small and cozy single building with red awnings and a patio spotted with heaters. It had large windows and Kairi could see a few families and couples in the small dining area littered with simple yet solid looking wooden tables with white table linens, smallish candles, and small, fashionable decanters of olive oil and balsamic vinegar at the center. It looked like a classical Italian restaurant where their food would be made from scratch and recipes would be passed down from generation to generation, untouched for hundreds of years. She absolutely loved it.

As they walked inside, Lestrade approached the hostess and smiled, asking for their reservation. Kairi followed Lestrade and the hostess to their table as she began unbuttoning her jacket and unfurling her scarf from around her neck. They reached a small booth, tucked back in the restaurant and Kairi smiled as her and Lestrade pulled off their large winter coats.

Kairi eyed him appreciatively. He had the solid body of a working man, maybe a little later in years than she was used to, but he was in good shape and quite handsome. He was wearing a deep charcoal grey, two button suit that fit him perfectly and showed off the lines of his body. The material looked soft and had the slightest sheen to it to make it look silky. The shirt underneath the suit was white and plain, but crisp and he wore a simple plum colored tie. The colors were contrasting but subtle and made his skin look lively and his eyes shine. What lingerie did for men, suits did for Kairi. She would die for a man in a good suit.

She averted her eyes when she realized Lestrade would look back up at her and she pulled off her jacket and heard a sharp intake of breath. She glanced up at Lestrade and smiled as he eyed her with a look of shock on his face.

"May I say Kairi, you do look stunning tonight." He sort of chuckled along.

Kairi flushed and straightened out her dress, "Thank you. I have to admit you look rather dashing yourself." She was wearing the very comfortable lycra-cashmere-cotton blend dress that she bought over a month ago in a deep cool based red. The sleeves exposed her strong shoulders and contrasted perfectly against her pale skin and the black lines of her shoulder tattoo. Its thick straps and square neckline framed her collar bones and showcased the tops of her breasts in a modest yet sexy way. It hugged her form but draped beautifully along the curves of her body without being skin tight. It stopped just above her knee with a modest slit in the back to allow for greater movement. She even wore her only pair of simple peep-toed platform styled heels. The only non-flat shoe she owned.

They both sat down and smiled at each other for a few moments. Kairi was blushing and Lestrade was trying not to chuckle at her, "You know this doesn't have to be hellishly awkward."

Kairi let out a guffaw and then covered her red lips in embarrassment, "Its so like you to make me make an ass out of myself."

Lestrade just winked and chuckled, "I think you do fine for yourself."