Chapter 40

Sherlock expected much more than a mere gun across his face. It hurt like the dazes, but on the other hand, he had been expecting a bullet. He didn't mind really, Kairi had stood up to Moran, she wouldn't let herself be cowed by him and his heart burned for her even more. Being the monster that Moran is, just made Sherlock realize how serious their situation happened to be. Both of them would bend like reeds in the wind to ensure the other's safety. He hated to be Kairi's weak spot, he truly did.

To be honest, he may have preferred the bullet in his head compared to allowing Moran to completely rule over Kairi. If he had succeeded, if Moran had gotten his demands, he would have been one step closer to truly breaking her down. Kairi was resilient, more resilient than almost any person he had ever known, but the things Moran would do to her...

Sherlock felt like everything inside of him shattered after Moran first took control over her body. His mind could barely wrap around it without breaking into sobs. To actually go through it, to be in her place, he didn't think he could be strong enough to survive that. She already had survived it. Now she had to go through it again.

Sherlock felt like a failure. His only saving grace was that he would not go and die on her, he wouldn't let Moran have her alone. She didn't have to be alone.

His head was throbbing at this point and he couldn't truly discern between the sounds of his heart beating in his ears and the sound of muffled voices in the room with him. He was trying to will himself awake, to make himself focus but he had lost a lot of blood and he wasn't sure how much more adrenaline he could muster up. His muscles felt slack, his restraints unforgiving. It's as if he were falling further and further away from his focus. He couldn't recall a damn reason for staying awake.

Kairi.

He heaved in a breath as a flash of her pained face shone behind his eyes, his ribs expanding and causing a jolt of pain to rip through him. He groaned deeply, trying to suck in more air, using pain as his strength to bring him back into the room. He wouldn't leave Kairi alone. He couldn't.

He could hear vague voices now, but he couldn't pick out the words. Moran was nearby, berating Kairi for something, judging by the sound of his voice. Kairi's responses were stunted and empty. He took in another shuddering breath, flexing the muscles in his arms and back, sending spiking pains through his shoulders and ribs.

Another deep breath and he might actually wake up.

Light seemed to be a bit too abrasive for Sherlock Holmes. He began blinking his eyes, but nothing sharpened. He could only see the blinding brightness of his pain.

He heard voices again. This time quieter, more serious. He shook his head and let out another groan, trying to see if he could move his limbs.

All of the air rushed out of him when he heard Sebastian Moran moan.

In his mind, Sherlock roared, trudging against the weakness of his body, surging against his own failings. Here he was, pitying himself, feeling sorry for his paltry wounds when Kairi was left alone - alone with Moran.

Another deep breath shuddered through him and the pain brought him to the brink of consciousness. His eyes seemed to flutter, but his vision was still blurry.

It wasn't until he heard a gut wrenching scream that he was able to fully open his eyes and take in the scene before him.

"Kairi..." He tried to vocalize, but it came out as a groan, a whisper against his gag. He was almost elated, finding himself closer to her than he had been since they arrived with Moran.

Sherlock tried to observe the scene, Moran had fallen back against the wall, clutching at his groin and howling in pain. Kairi was on the floor, with blood dripping out of her mouth. He tugged at his restraints again, the pain making him feel more than alive as he desperately tried to reach out to her.