Chapter 29

Kairi and Sherlock finally limped their way into Bart's. Kairi was exhausted, more than half the day was gone and all she wanted to do was go home and take a bath alone and go to sleep. She smiled to herself, glancing at Sherlock who looked slightly cross, but otherwise put together. Kairi felt like earth's gravity had increased exponentially and it tugged her down with every step.

When Lestrade had arrived at the scene of the very minor explosion with Donovan in tow, she was surprised by Lestrade's reaction, trotting over to her side and pulling her into his arms. He hugged her tightly and Kairi relished in the comfort he provided. Lestrade was her very good friend and it felt very nice indeed to be showered with such attention. It was not something that she sought after constantly, but she was not Sherlock, she did enjoy some human interaction. The presence of a friend still comforted her. She had her face buried in his neck when she finally let herself begin to shake and heave in reaction to her past hour. It wasn't everyday that you almost got blown up. Granted the blast wouldn't have killed them, but it would have maimed them severely if she hadn't gotten them out of the way and that factor was terrifying. Its one thing to be vaporized instantly, its another to be blown to bits and then survive as bits. Once her tears had subsided, she was surprised to look up and see Sherlock staring at her and Lestrade embracing, the strangest of expressions on his face.

After being questioned and recounting the story with painfully exact details, Lestrade had been happy to trolly them over to St. Bart's to meet up with Molly and John so they could discuss the body and the case. When they got in the car, Sherlock surprised her by wrapping an arm around her shoulder to hold her closely. Kairi wasn't sure that it was a comforting arm, it seemed possessive and the look on Donovan's face was worth a month of her salary from Mycroft. The idea of Sherlock Holmes, holding a woman close to him, protectively, was not something she could process. Kairi tried to relish in it, but Sherlock didn't seem close, he felt distant and cold. His arm felt almost uncomfortable the way it was grabbing her. For a moment, she thought he may actually be in shock. The drive was intense and silent.

Sherlock seemed to stiffen when they arrived at Bart's. He pulled his arm away and put a distance between them shortly before the car stopped and he got out, leaving her behind. She wasn't all that upset by him leaving her. She had gotten most of her shock out in the form of tears and quivers while in Lestrade's arms. As she scooted towards the door to exit, she froze in the middle of her seat with a sudden realization.

Sherlock was jealous.

She let out a bark of laughter, that caused Donovan and Lestrade to glance back at her as they went to exit the car.

"Alright?" Donovan asked as Lestrade exited with a chuckle on his lips. Kairi nodded, trying to keep her manic laughter inside. Donovan only nodded and said something under her breath, Kairi thought it sounded something like "Completely fucking batty."

Lestrade was walking around the open door as Kairi scooted the rest of the way across the bench. She glanced up as she put her feet out and saw Lestrade's hand extending to her, she opened her mouth to dispel the need for his courtesy, but was interrupted.

"Excuse me, detective." Sherlock growled the word like a curse. Kairi glared up at him as he nudged an absolutely appalled Detective Inspector Lestrade out of the way. Everyone thought he was already inside Bart's. Sherlock stood in front of Kairi extending his hand. She stared at him for a moment, trying to assess him in the best way she could. Her eyes narrowed when she met his gaze. He was not being caring, he was being possessive of her and she wasn't sure she appreciated it - especially when coming in the form of vehemence for her good friend. He had already stated that he didn't mind their friendship, he was not allowed to change his mind on that as nothing would ever happen between her and Lestrade - not in that manner anymore.

Born in Black and Whiteजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें