Chapter 32

Kairi tried not to fidget in horror as she sat in the back of a very expensive, very sleek, and incredibly ominous car that had to cost more than all of her expenses in her entire life. She sat next to Sherlock Holmes who was holding her hand in order to make his brother uncomfortable, but it also had the unintended benefit of having her skin against his. Mycroft was sitting across from them, pointedly staring out the window. Mycroft and Sherlock were silent, but Kairi wanted to scream. She had been trying to prepare herself for weeks, but nothing was helping. She needed whiskey and she needed a lot of it. What would be worse in the end: drunkenly throwing up on Mrs. Holmes' shoes or anxiously throwing up on Mrs. Holmes' shoes? Kairi couldn't decide. It was Christmas afternoon and she was on her way to the Holmes' family estate.

A week ago she had been sitting with Molly in a cafe in a shopping mall in London. It being Christmas, translated into the mall being well on its way to being over populated. Her and Molly paused their shopping for a break from the chaos. They were sipping their beverages, trying desperately to bring back their sanity.

"Why didn't we just shop online?" Molly groaned at Kairi. Both of them were laden with shopping bags full of presents for family and friends.

Kairi had both of her hands on either side of her face, a picture of instability, "I don't know. Remind me next year that this is not how we should be doing it."

Molly nodded, "Are we done then?"

Kairi shook her head, "I've got to find something for Sherlock. I have no idea what to get him."

Molly nodded, "He likes scarves." She said weakly and Kairi smiled at her.

"Yes, but you've got him one already." Kairi chuckled at Molly who shrugged.

"Gloves?" Molly added desperately and Kairi sighed.

"No we're in a relationship, I think it has to be personal or something." Kairi grimaced and glanced up at Molly, "What did you get John?"

Molly blushed, "Well, I've scheduled a weekend away."

Kairi beamed, "What a good idea!" She saw Molly going to open her mouth but Kairi interrupted, "No! Don't tell me! If Sherlock knows I know he'll deduce it and then he'll show up and ruin it. Protect this secret with your life!" She growled and Molly laughed.

"Well, do you know of anything Sherlock needs?" Molly asked, trying to help.

Kairi shrugged, "I don't know. He gets whatever he wants, whenever he wants it. I guess I could seduce the beautiful coroner at Bart's and convince her to give me a body part, but I believe that would go over poorly at the Holmes' family Christmas."

Molly chuckled, "Well, they are the Holmeses." She smiled and Kairi let herself chuckle, "God, you are the bravest woman I've ever met. You work for Mycroft, you're dating Sherlock, and now you'll be meeting his parents." She shook her head as she sipped her tea, "I didn't think he had parents. I thought he had been grown in a laboratory or something."

Kairi snorted, "Oh Lord, wouldn't that be something?" Kairi straightened, preparing herself for her best Sherlock Holmes impression as she squared her shoulders and raised a haughty eyebrow, "I would endeavor you to meet my parents, Donor 456 and Donor 927. This was my childhood home, a Petri dish, sample two." Molly eyes went wide at that, covering her mouth to keep her tea from coming out as she tried to breathe. She swallowed carefully and began laughing hysterically.

"Oh Jesus Kairi, you can't do that to me." She snickered, covering her mouth again and trying to breathe. "God Kairi, I still can't believe it." She leaned in, whispering, "Sherlock Holmes has a girlfriend." She gulped and sat up shocked, "And I actually like her!"