Sherlock could only stare. "I'm sorry..." He murmured.

Kairi sighed, her breath shaky on the exhale, "It's not your fault..." She finished with a broken sob.

He adjusted in his seat again, "Tell me that I may hold you..." He practically whispered.

Kairi let out another sob, shaking her head as she gripped his hand, "I-I can't Sherlock. Not yet."

He adjusted in his chair, leaving his hand still, though he desperately wanted to grip her fingers in his, press them to his mouth, and feel them on his face. He sighed heavily and looked up at her with as much compassion as he could muster, "I understand that this is more than just difficult for you." Kairi looked up at him through the tears, "I, myself have residual pain, more than just physical, because of what we endured - of what you endured because of me." His voice was smooth and controlled as Kairi watched him speak, but his right hand was fisted on his knee, "These arrangements I have been making have been dependent on your state of mind and well-being." He cleared his throat.

"On me?" Kairi shuddered.

Sherlock nodded, "Mycroft and I went through your father's files and we discovered who had been in charge of this entire farce. The man who is responsible for Moran's indiscretions being swept under the rug is now being fully charged, receiving a court-martial, and imprisoned." He finished with venom.

"Because of you?" Kairi whispered, looking up at Sherlock and squeezing his hand. He returned the squeeze and she flinched. He looked at her apologetically and she nodded to him with a weak smile.

"Yes, because of me." Sherlock intoned. "We are ensuring the government will cover any and all medical costs as well as therapy. You'll be receiving a monthly stipend which is not outrageous enough to live on, but they will be paying what they endeared psychological damages caused by their inaction." He shifted again with displeasure lacing his tone, a small grimace from the pain, "This would prove useful if you decide to travel or...relocate." He finished in a soft broken tone.

Kairi's eyes shot back to him, she hated that word the moment it came out of his mouth, "You said that these arrangements you have been making depend on me. What you mentioned sounds like accomplishments. What is the arrangement then?" She looked at him skeptically.

He smirked at her, "You really are very perceptive."

Kairi joked, "Maybe some genius, consulting detective rubbed off on me a little."

Sherlock chuckled softly, tracing a gentle finger on the inside of Kairi's wrist and her heart beat sped up. He looked to her face, to apologize, but he found a familiar blush creeping up her neck as she stared down at their joined hands. He tried not to seem elated so he pulled his hand away, she looked sad and thankful. Clearing his throat, he continued, "My brother requires my assistance for a case."

Kairi rose an eyebrow, "You'd rather saw off your own leg than work for your brother."

Sherlock chuckled again, putting a single finger to the side of his nose, "Perceptive." He nodded and Kairi laughed.

"What's this case and why does it seem like... I don't know, a punishment? You haven't done anything wrong." She looked at him seriously and saw his face twist in a flicker of sadness.

"I have elected to accept it because of the recent events..." He took a deep breath, "The case will lead me out of the country for a brief time. John will possibly join me throughout that time, but mostly he will remain in London."

Kairi's eyes went wide and a lump formed in her throat, "Oh."

Sherlock looked at her for some sort of hint to her emotions, but she just seemed blank. "Oh?"