Chapter 17: Logan Fell

Start from the beginning

Bonnie replied plainly with a shrug, "They've been hanging out."

As Matt and Caroline walked into a classroom away from earshot, Elena confided to Bonnie and I, "Kind of weird, don't you think."

"I think they would be cute together," I replied nonchalantly. Matt was such a relaxed person that I thought he would be a good balance for Caroline's bursting energy.

Bonnie nodded her head in agreement with me and added, "Besides, she needs someone nice like him, as opposed to a homicidal vampire like Damon."

I awkwardly scratched the back of my head when Bonnie said that. As far as they know, I barely talk to Damon. I want to keep it that way for as long as I can. I felt conflicted when it came to my feelings for Damon so telling them would make matters worse.

Elena looked over at Bonnie and softly questioned, "Yeah, how are you doing with all that?"

"I'm freaked out. Damon was going to attack me. I could be dead right now if it wasn't for Arina," Bonnie replied honestly, giving me a warm smile.

I murmured out softly, not expecting Elena to hear, "I feel grateful." Now that I know the truth about Elena, it's been an eyeopener.

Unfortunately Elena heard and hummed, wanting me to elaborate as we walked down the school halls.

I quickly lied and tried to change the subject, "Uh...To Stefan. He saved my life by getting Damon to stop...Have you seen Stefan?"

As we reached Elena's locker, Elena removed her scarf. She then stuffed it along with her bag into the locker as she replied, "Not since he told me he was leaving. For all I know, he's already gone."

Bonnie softly disagreed with Elena, "He wouldn't leave without saying goodbye."

Elena retrieved her books from her locker and adamantly responded, "Yes, he would. He thinks he's protecting me. Clean break and all that."

I questioned curiously, "What are you gonna do?"

Elena slammed her locker then responded, "What am I supposed to do? I've already begged him not to go. If I ask again, I'm being selfish. It is what it is."

The three of us started to walk down the hallway again as Bonnie tried to cheer up Elena, "Maybe it's for the best."

Elena stopped in place and looked at Bonnie who stopped as well. Elena eyed Bonnie suspiciously, "What? Why?"

Bonnie elaborated defensively, " I mean, what kind of future could you have had with him, even if he stayed?"

Suddenly a banner fell down on the three of us that said 'The Promise of your Future.'

I stared at Bonnie and questioned out, "Did you just...?"

Bonnie shook her head and quickly replied, "No, I swear."

This prompted Elena to sigh and angrily smack the banner out of her way before storming off to class. I heard her mumble out of annoyance "Oh my God", as her sneakers squeaked farther and farther away. I found myself feeling icky after the encounter with her.

After school was over and I was heading to my car, I spotted Stefan with Elena. The two of them were sitting at a table outside the school building. I approached the two of them and sat down.

"Hey, Arina. Are you feeling better?" Stefan asked politely. He seemed happy to see me.

"Much better. Thank you for your help," I thanked him even though I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that he was fine with me being compelled. I tried my best to hide my anguish and hoped that neither Elena or Stefan would notice.