Chapter 40

Violet 

There was nothing I could do. I felt helpless. I stood frozen on my feet and when she extended an arm in my direction and I felt a powerful force upon me, it was already too late. 

My body felt weightless and slammed against the back wall and slid down onto the nightstand. I wanted to shout in pain but Alexia had already done so. Her face was filled with terror and I could only think of protecting her as the Shadow could've come to possess her. 

My body screamed to the burning sensations but I fought through it and stood hesitantly. Mother was busy shielding and protecting Alexia from the danger before us. I quickly willed energy from my core and thought of setting a threat ablaze. Anything for destruction of this pest that proceeds to haunt us. 

My fingers tingled with flames and I went numb, I held nothing back. I thrust my hands in the maid's direction and she then slammed to the other side of the room with her attire torched. My energy felt drained and my knees threatened to give out. I was about to go. I begged for energy from Asher but my pleads didn't reach him. Even I didn't have enough energy for that. I let out a shallow breath and looked at Alexia. 

"Baby, go find daddy. Get help." I said then faced my enemy and covered my daughter as she bolted out the room with tear-streaked cheeks. She was very panicked and her heartbeat skyrocketed. I felt compelled to soothe her, but I had a duty to carry out. Mother stood by my side and supported my weight. 

We can defeat her together. Mother suggested and sent her energy into my body with a single touch. I felt recharged but I knew it wouldn't last for long. I knew that I was weaker than I had been before. I knew that the complicated childbirths would drain me if I used something out of my abilities. I huffed in frustration and glanced at mother in gratitude. 

I will be by you every step of the way. I heard her words faintly past the pain that swirled from my neck to my back. The maid scowled and was glancing at the door after my daughter but she closed the door when she exited in an absolute mess. 

I took this opportunity from which she was distracted then thought of the blazing sun. Heat warmed up at my core and travelled through the nerves to the tips of my fingers. I desperately wanted to let loose of the energy but I knew that this was all I had inside of me. Mother could always take after me if all goes black. 

I just needed one more hit and the Shadow would go down. I kept telling my stubborn self that, but that's not how Shadows fought. They fought like their souls depended on it, or else they would get rejected then eaten away by the darkness forever. 

I screamed and hurled the fists full of thermal towards the maid and that resulted in her crumbling to the floor on her knees, but that still wasn't enough. 

It all happened too quickly. As the maid crumbled, I fell from my pedestal as well. All the strength that I had years ago was desperately needed, yet now I fell and depended on others around me. I blacked out as I fell but gained consciousness again when I hit the ground. My eyes were open enough to see mother step over my body and summon the maid's body up into the air and use witchery onto the possessed thing. 

I felt relieved and in pain at the same time. I closed my eyes when my intuition gave a feeling of security as soon as Alexia reached Asher. I knew she had reached for help, so I let myself drift off because help was coming. 

I opened my eyes again when I sensed his body kneel beside me. His hands shook when he shifted my head and rested me atop his lap. I sighed when I breathed in his scent and my aching muscles immediately felt relieved. I melted against his soothing touches through the pain that still stayed on my back. 

He whispered gentle words, one after the other and I was taken into paradise. He made me feel that everything was okay and that this was all one nightmare that felt endless. I wanted to believe him but there was so much going on. There was the stress about Zayden's slow recovery. The stress about Jillian and their baby. The stress of everyone's safety, that if there was one Shadow inside and none outside, they must all be behind the walls somewhere. 

I knew that Ash had heard my thoughts, but his expressions still hadn't said anything since I still remained his priority as opposed to his kingdom. I was his mate and he still showed great amounts of concern. I closed my eyes and held back the tears. If something were to happen to someone else, I could never forgive myself. 

I proceeded to stare into his eyes and I observed the wheels turn in his mind and I wanted to reach up and pull his face down for a kiss but I stopped myself. He wanted to say something but he was conflicted within himself, so I wanted for him to tell me. 

"Everything is okay. We will make it through this and I will make my sister pay for everything that she has done to my family. She will not make it out of this without regretting what she has done to mess with me." His conscience was boiling and I felt the anger pounding against my mind. His thinking was captivating his thoughts and he was close to loosing it. 

"I know you will do well for the greater good. End this war, once and for all."  I stated sternly and gave a slight nod in confirmation. Whatever he planned, I knew it would be good and he would raise hell. I knew that it was being a bad role model for Zayden and Alexia to see their parents bring full waves of hell, but there was no other way. I silently apologized for them having to see us like this, though our journey of highs and lows. 

I sighed and looked up at him. His eyelids had fallen and I continued staring until he saw my gaze burning into his closed eyes. 

"I will do anything for you, my queen. Remember that I love you and I will do whatever it takes to always win for peace." He mumbled then placed a kiss that left a tingling trail along my lips. 

That same touch that I have gotten used to for so many years, yet every kiss felt like the magical first time. I breathed and closed my eyes. His touch still felt the same as it had the night we felt the lightning bolts between us the very first night we touched each other. 

A/N: 

Hello, my cuties! I decided to write a chapter and I just hope that it's at least halfway decent??? I'm not even sure because it's past 1 in the morning and I've had a long day, so please try to make sense of what's going on and please leave a comment if you're confused about anything. Remember again that I haven't edited anything from here so comment if there is confusion!!

Thank you so much and I love you all! Until then, take care!! 

~Jade xoxo