Chapter 7

Violet 

Asher took initiative and opened the door towards the dark hallway. The wind bashed against the windows causing a flicker of sconces hanging from the walls. I shivered at the sudden change in temperature and followed in his footsteps. His mind was clouded and unfocused in another dimension, but he seemed determined to do one thing and that one thing was to speak with our children and his brother. 

The door was left ajar, exactly the way I had left it, but the children were nowhere in sight. My heart dropped for a split second but I caught a sense of their presence at the back doors. I brushed past my husband and traced their tracks in a trance. An occasional shuffle came from our feet, but no other words were exchanged. 

My eyes peeked past the cracked door but Asher was abrupt enough to open the door even wider and walk past it. I was becoming frustrated at his brutality and such hostility. Must he need reminding that I could not handle such anxiety and rush? I made it clear that he heard my heartbeat and urged the pounding of my heart into his mind and ears. He stopped on his tracks and bowed his head in submission and apology. I glared at him without a word and followed into the foggy garden where the children have trailed off to. 

Their giggles were mixed with the breeze and I held onto Ash's hand as assurance. They seemed dauntless enough to be traveling in the dark night. We did not know where we were headed. The false stream of their laughter was swirling around us and I began to panic. Alexandria and Zayden were too young to be out this late. I hoped with all my heart that Aidan took good care of them. 

Asher and I approached the corner where two walls met. The leaf canopy felt warm and I reached out to push the foliage aside, but Asher gave a hint of hesitance. Would he be nervous for this encounter and this discussion that he hasn't mentally prepared himself for? Was he nervous about breaking the news of his mother or boosting the kids' self-esteems? 

The three of them sat safely on the rim of the fountain with their feet dipped into the chilly water. Without another thought, I plunged my feet into the water and settled down beside Zayden. He sat straight but slouched as soon as he realized my presence. Alexandria looked up at Asher with a wide smile and giggled with her feet kicking water into the air. I sighed when the warm embrace of my children's presence wrapped around my husband and I. 

Asher sat beside Aidan, on the other side, seemingly in deep thought and I wanted to reach out to him, but he brushed aside the thoughts of confronting the three children of their problems. But what about your mother? When would they find out about her news? I urged past his fallen barrier. He eyed me warningly with the same brown eyes that I have fallen in love with. I nodded slowly. 

Let us enjoy the light shining in the dark night while it lasts. He whispered to me in a gentle voice that made me close my eyes and breath a slow breathe. The same voice that he used on so many occasions where I find myself falling in love with over and over again. I knew the light he was referring to were the three lights shining within the distance between us. 

A/N: Hello lovelies!! 

Long time no see and I apologize greatly for it. I am soooooo sorry for those who have been waiting for an update. School had finished a week and a half ago but I have used the time in between now and then to rewind and relax. Studying for those finals were a real pain, but I am all yours now :) at least until August when school starts again!! Eep!

But needless to say that your guys' support for me and my books have never faltered and that makes me feel very much happy. It makes me ecstatic that my bookworms haven't lost interest. I love you all and I hope to update again soon!! 

Notice: I will be on a trip from June 8-16 so if I don't update within that time, then you know why :)

I will see you all again and I hope you all have been having a fantastic summer!!! 

~Jade xoxo