I decided I didn't care. He made it clear that I didn't matter to him, and everything between us was only a business deal. But, for some reason, a small, tiny boat in my heart- sank.

Why was I hurt?

He pinched my cheek, and I stepped back, shaking it off.

"Partners," he smiled widely. "I like the sound of that."

He was cheerful once more, and I had to wonder if he suffered from some type of bi polar disorder, or maybe his happiness was some kind of defense mechanism. As we walked towards the tall, blue door of the mansion, I found myself smiling. A part of me was glad that he had broken off his happy mold, and shown me a side to him that I didn't know existed. He reminded me of a ripe onion, wrapped in a hundred quilts, and I wondered what other layer I would accidentally peel off.

Just as he was about to press the doorbell, a loud engine roared behind us, causing us to turn, facing to a strange noise.

Dressed in a black leather riding gear, a pear shaped woman, whose face was shielded by a blue helmet, spun her motorcycle around, before stopping it. Swinging her legs off the bike, she parked it against the side of a metal railing. My eyes bulged when she took off the helmet, revealing a set of full grey hair, and aged, wrinkled skin. Her blue eyes shined against the evening sky, as she placed the helmet on the seat of the bike, turning her attention towards us.

"You're early!" She had the same happy go lucky voice that James always used, as she ran towards us.

Her gaze was locked on James, as she reached him, swinging both arms over his neck, giving him a tight hug. James looked a bit annoyed, as though he were embarrassed that she was hugging him in front of me.

I grinned.

Then I frowned because I began to find his annoyance towards his Grandmother, adorable. It was just something about the way his brows furrowed together- his lips, in a small pout, as he glanced at me, looking a bit horrified.

"Granny, please," he mumbled. "We've got a guest—"

"Oh, stop it!" said Gweneth. "You haven't seen me in over two months! I'm allowed to hug my Grandson. Wait, what's that you said? A guest? Where?"

They pulled apart, as James placed both hands on Gweneth's shoulder, slowly turning her towards me. He brought his hands back to his side, rolling his eyes, and looking exhausted.

Gweneth looked at me for a moment- then took a step towards me, pressing a finger against my cheek, as though testing whether I'm real or not. I gave her a look, raising my brow, and taking a step back.

But then I remembered I was supposed to be a good bride, so reluctantly, I smiled. I really had nothing to smile about, and the Grandmother was making me uncomfortable by staring me up and down with an overly happy gaze.

"So nice to meet you, Mrs. Bellevue," I said, trying to sound friendly. "James has told me a lot about you."

She cocked her head to side, and took a step back, her brows raised.

"And what did he say?" she asked.

There was a challenge in her tone, and I could tell she was expecting me to fluster, and admit that I had just told a lie, because James had not told me much of anything about her. Except that—

"You love carrots," I answered, smiling again. "I do too. In fact, if you could open a carrot factory, I'll bet every dollar I own, that you would—"