"You believe in love at first sight?" I asked, not really thinking about the question, but just spitting it out because I didn't know what else to say.

"What does it matter what I believe?" he asked, smiling. "Do you want me to believe in it?"

Huh? What did that mean?

I gave him a puzzled look, and rested my hands over my thighs, not knowing how to reply. His question had swallowed my tongue in such a way, that I decided it was best to not say anything at all.

His folks lived in one of those mansions that people like me only got to admire from the TV screen, or within a car, marveling at its luxury as we passed it by. The Long Island neighborhood was silent, as the sunset dipped over the skies, creating an orange radiance over the aisle of tall houses, and golden gates. A few teens hung out in their front yards, as I got out the car, observing the privileged neighborhood.

"Must have been nice to grow up here," I stated, more to myself than to him.

He walked around the parked car, wrapping his hand over mine, causing me to jump. I almost snapped my hand back, but stopped when he gave me a look that said "time to act." My hand laid limp in his, passive against his flesh, as we headed down the grey pavement, towards the two story, white mansion.

"It was great when my mother was around," he admitted.

His happy eyes had turned grim, as the veins in his temple throbbed. We walked through the ten foot sparkling golden gate, which for some reason- was open wide, as though waiting for our arrival. I would have gaped at the beauty of the mansion, but his pensive expression bore a hole in my chest, and I couldn't look away. He looked so sad, and without realizing, I squeezed my palm against his.

He didn't notice. At least, I don't think he did, for he gave no response. He merely stared ahead, with that sad look in his eyes.

"If you don't mind me asking...where's your mom?"

A brisk wind passed between us, as his eyes turned towards me, shooting me a cold stare. Yanking his hand off of mine, he leaned down, so that our eyes were at level to each other. I shivered at his gaze, and realized that whatever I had said- was definitely the wrong thing to say.

"I do mind you asking," he hissed. "Let's get one thing straight, Princess...I'm not going to fall for you, so don't think that by asking me personal questions, you can get closer to me. You can't. What we have going here, is a business deal. You do your end of the deal, and I do mine. I don't care if there was a gun pointed to your fucking head, don't you dare ask me anything, and I mean anything, concerning my personal life. Don't get on my bad side, Dorothy. I will destroy you, and I will not feel bad about it, because I don't give a damn about you. I need you, just like you need me. That's it. End of. So please, keep the personal questions to yourself. Are we clear?"

"I only asked because you mentioned your mother earlier, but if you're uncomfortable with personal questions, then I won't ask," I explained. "And don't worry. I don't give a damn about you either, so we're even. And you should go easy on the threats, because I could destroy you just as easily by telling your family that you planned this sham of a marriage just to get into your grandfather's will."

His brow rose. "Are you threatening me?"

"I could threaten you, but I won't. We're partners now, aren't we?"

His face softened, as he stood to his full height, stroking his brown locks back. He shook his head, and there was that easy smile again. I wasn't sure if it was a fake smile, because only seconds ago he looked ready to pull my head off.