Forgiveness

Mike came back from the hospital and called Tee into the office. They stared at each other for a few minutes. "When did you turn into such a nasty piece of work?" Mike asked finally.

Tee looked down. "I-I didn't know..."

"Yeah, but you still wanted to hurt Ryan either way, didn't you?" asked Mike, his voice rising.

"Yeah, hurt his feelings a bit, hurt his pride. I didn't want to invite a psychopath over, and I DIDN'T want him to end up in hospital!" screamed Tee.

Suddenly Tee froze. A thought had come into her head. "Wait, if Ryan was in Heathview House with Laces, doesn't that mean he's a psycho too?"

Mike took a deep breath in. "Look, after the incident with Chloe he got a bad name. People thought he was trouble. He bore it out because he knew only the good kids got fostered, but eventually he realised no one was going to give him a chance. He decided if everyone thought he was trouble he would be trouble, so he got moved around from place to place. Eventually he ended up at Heathview. Ryan was only seven, by far the youngest. The other kids were practically insane. They tortured and even killed each other. When Ryan came, because he was so much younger than everyone else, seemed like the weakest link. They brutally attacked him without mercy. Eventually Ryan showed up to the police half dead because of what they'd done to him. They decided Heathview wasn't the place for him so they moved him here, for a fresh start. Why couldn't you let him have that, Tee? Why couldn't you let him just start again?"

Tee had tears in her eyes. "I'm sorry!" she cried. "I'll make it up to him, I promise."

Mike shook his head. "You've tricked him too many times, Tee. You can say sorry to him, but he won't forgive you. Not this time. Just stay out of his way. That's all you can do now."

Tee sniffed and ran out of the office.