"are we close enough to race?" kris asked, eyes shining with the reflection of the moonlight.

god, she was so full of energy and louis doubted he'd ever get tired of it "yeah, but you're going to lose."

like bullets, they shot back down the side of the road, grinning like things were perfect everywhere around them. it had only been six days. six days since louis had come into class late, out of breath, and whipped kris into a bigtop circus of the best freaks she could ever hope to meet.

louis won the race, but only because he iced up the sidewalk in the winning stretch. but he agreed to a rematch at a later date.

"so if you need anything," louis told kris as the garage shook, moving them below ground. "borrow it from courtney or madison- you  saw her in the ugc your first night; niall's girlfriend." the shaking stopped, and louis opened the door. he was still thinking about their talk. "i'd offer, but we're different sizes and i'm the filthiest person here."

once inside, louis found harry in the dorm hall waiting for them, two bags on his arm. he glanced up and tossed one to louis.

"oh!" louis half-grunted in catching the bag, half exclaiming to remember something. "kris, you should probably tell your mom about being gone. even if she doesn't care, we don't need her calling the police and getting more people breathing down our necks. but don't tell her where this place is."

"um, okay. is there a phone here?" kris asked.

louis dug into his pocket and handed her his cell. "yeaup."

he had to go along with harry to help load everything into the truck, which left kris with windblown hair and a phone with a dirty, smudged screen.

nothing poetic could really be said about that.

well, maybe.

kris sat herself in her room and dialed her mom's number. she'd been required to learn it, just in case worst came to worst.

the conversation went along like this-

m: hello?

k: hi mom.

m: kris? oh my god i-

k: i'm sorry i hurt you. it was an accident, but at the same time it sort of wasn't.

m: oh, kris. everyone has been looking for you, you were all over the news.

k: i was?

m: you put a man in the hospital. everyone is saying it's a miricle that he's alive.

k: ...oh

m: was it really needed kris? was going to school worth all of this?

k: .....

m: just tell me where you are, i'll come and pick you up.

k: no i... you can't.

m: and why not?

k: because i'm leaving town for a while. with friends.

m: what do you mean "friends"? kris, you don't have any friends.

k: i found them, mom. they're like me. i'm not the only one with powers.

m: kris, you're different. anyone else you will meet will be completely ordinary.

k: no. no, i'm not alone there's a girl who can make fire and boys who can make snow and ice and have their drawings come to life and there are boys who can turn invisible... i can do that too.

m: do what?

k: turn invisible. it was an accident but i can do more than make things move.

m: honey, you need to come home right now.

k: no.

m: kr-

k: no, mom. this is the first time in my life that i have been outside and existed like everyone else does. i've met so many good people who know what it's like for me. if i hadn't gone to school and just stayed in my room, i'd have rotted away into nothing. this is what i want to be like for the rest of my life, and you're not going to stop me.

--

you get brownie points if you caught the references to the 'to this day" poem in this chapter lol

stats:

reads- 360

comments- 2

votes- 0

ranking- none