-15-

Lillie and I sit in the lobby of the motel, catching up over a cup of coffee.

The motel owner hovers nearby, slowly wiping everything down with a dust rag. She seems more interested in what us girls are discussing than making the lobby clean. Her eyebrows raise as Lillie discreetly describes her conquests.

"...and then, we fell asleep," Lillie whispers from across the table.

The old woman covers her mouth and smirks. She turns the volume back up on the radio and shuffles back to the counter.

I giggle and carefully sip my boiling hot coffee.

I'm a bit surprised by Lillie today. She seems so different from the shy, reserved, assistant I met over two years ago. A new bracelet is tied around her wrist, the bright-pink shells shimmer modestly in the sunlight.

"New bracelet?" I ask, curious about the new fashion statement.

"Like it? I picked it up in Konikoni City a few months ago. Finally decided to wear it!" she giggles nervously.

"I love it! Very pretty."

"It's not what I would usually wear, but it was very pretty, so I bought it anyway! My mother used to pick my clothes...but now that I'm on my own, maybe I should pick things I want to wear," she says, hesitantly.

"I think it's great that you are trying new things! That's the best part about leaving home...finding out what you like." I reply, trying to encourage her to embrace her own tastes.

"Maybe your right! Next, I'll try a new hairstyle next," she says, twirling hair around her delicate fingers.

Suddenly, Hau bursts through the lobby door.

"We gotta go now!" he pants.

"Shit! I forgot about that!" I exclaim, reaching into my purse for my pager.

"Is everything okay!?" Lillie clamors.

"We are supposed to go with Professor Kukui to this Aether Paradise place," Hau explains.

"You can come with if you want! We have to ride Charizard to Malie City though-"

"Oh no! I'm kinda tired from last night and I've got a few books I need to look over...you two go on without me!" Lillie says, shaking her head. She seems very nervous.

"Are you sure babe?" Hau asks, placing his hand on her shoulder.

Lillie brushes his hand away and abruptly leaves the table, forgetting to push her seat back in. The bells on the door jingle as the it slams behind her.

"That was weird," Hau sighs as she storms past the window, "Well, we better get going."

_________________

"Looks like we actually got here a little early. You wait here, I'll run and get us some Malasada!" Hau shouts from the long flight of stairs leading up to the city.

"Hurry up then!"

Leave it to Hau to find time for Malasada!

I lean over the concrete wall and watch the ships for a few minutes. My phone vibrates from inside my purse.

My heart skips when I see the message is from Gladion.

"Got the day off today. Meet me at our beach in an hour. -Gladion"

I let out a groan. Of course, I would be busy the day he wants to see me! I quickly think of excuses to skip the Aether trip, but it's too late, I'm already here.