41

"Baby I'm so proud of you!" I roll my eyes as mum pulls me into the kitchen. "I got you something!"

"Mum you shouldn't be getting me anything!"

"Shush now open it!" She hands me a box wrapped in plain white paper, and not wrapping paper either. I huff and slowly unwrap what seems to be a small jewellery box. Once I see what it is I'm mad. I'm angry. I'm not being ungrateful, I just know mum can't afford this. "Before you say anything Liam helped me". I sigh and look up to her, giving her a warm smile and pulling her into a hug.

"Thank you".

"Now we need to get going if we want to make your graduation!"

I smile and nod.

Mum came back with us to come to graduation, and to sort out selling the house.

We're obviously currently staying at Liam's as he and his mum insisted.

"Give me your phone I'll take a photo of you both!" I hand mum my new phone and wrap my arm around Liam's shoulder. "Okay done, lets go!"

I smile as I look at the photo mum just took and save it as my lock screen.

It's crazy that I now have a phone.

I think I'll need a few lessons.

Obviously it would be Liam teaching me though.

"Alright let's get this over with then". Liam grabs my hand and we follow mum outside to see Karen and Geoff in the car ready to go.

Getting there was simple. Finding a spot to park was the struggle. They told Liam and I to get out so we didn't miss anything. I dreaded the looks and stares though.

"Don't worry babe, I'm right by your side". He slides his hand around my waist and I suddenly feel content. I know it wouldn't be much of a difference.

Of course it takes forever for them to sort everyone into order, eventually making it to the speech by a student that the principal chose. 

I'm shocked when Liam's name is called and he stands, making his way up onto the stage. 

"My fellow graduates. We stand here today on the edge of the future. It's not a distant reality anymore. It begins here. It begins today.

We began high school as children, but we're leaving here as adults. We've completed a basic education that will serve as the platform we use to launch ourselves into our futures. Some of us will go on to college, others will go straight into the work force, but each of us will travel our own path.

No matter where we go or what we do, there are challenges ahead of us. What I'm asking from each of you, and from myself, is to meet those challenges straight on with your head held high and your heart wide open. It's not enough to simply try to get by in life. That doesn't move the world forward. You must try to excel in everything you do; strive for excellence in every task, large or small.

The 'uh-oh' moments are worth cherishing just as much as 'ah-ha' moments: Mistakes, failures, embarrassments and disappointments are a necessary component of growing wise. We can learn more from our not-so-good experiences than we can learn from our good ones.

Knowing who you are will help you when it's time to fight. Fight for the job you want, fight for the people who mean the most to you and fight for the kind of world you want to live in. It will help when people say that's impossible or you can't do that. Look, if you take the unexpected opportunities when they come up, if you know yourself, and if you fight for what you believe in, I can promise that you will live a life that is rich with meaning.

We may not have the power to inspire the entire world to strive for success, but we do have the power to try to achieve it for ourselves. My challenge to each of you, and to myself, is to do all that you can do to reach your full potential. If each of the students in this graduating class is able to do that, just imagine the effect that would have. The future is truly in our hands, so let's make the most of it.

Thank you."

Everyone is on their feet clapping and cheering as Liam nods to our principal and takes a seat up on the stage. 

"Alright, now on to graduating!" 

After a few of the A to Gs they finally came to me, my hands are shaking and sweating insanely and I don't know if I can do this. I almost feel like running off. But then Liam catches my eye and gives me a nod. 

Somehow that calms me down. 

It's like he knew I was freaking out. 

"Niall Horan". 

Taking a deep breath, I stand and hear mum, Karen and Geoff cheering and clapping. I walk up on stage and see then standing on their feet, mum wiping her cheeks and she smiles so widely, Liam beaming...I feel a sense of pride for the first time in my life. 

"Congratulations Niall, you were a pleasure to have in my school". I nod as I shake the principal's hand, taking my certificate as the photographer takes the photo. I return to my seat and patiently watch until Liam's name is called...at the fucking end.

Apparently because he was the chosen speech person he had to be given his certificate last and oh my god the draining hour that went on...

Okay it probably wasn't an hour but y'know. 

Once his name is called I'm on my feet beaming and clapping so hard my hands hurt. 

In that moment I didn't care about what other people thought or what they might say, I'm just so happy and proud of my boyfriend that I'm in my own world. 

Eventually we're standing together and mum has me in a really tight hug, telling me over and over how proud she is of me.

Liam is being suffocated by his mum as well, Geoff just standing on the side and smiling wide. 

I guess it's so hard for them, since they didn't get to see their first child graduate, which is probably why Louis' step dad is looking so proud. I have been wondering why his mum hasn't been seen, but I'm afraid to ask. I don't know if Liam would know and if he did he probably would've told me. 

Harry's mum and sister are beaming as they hug and kiss him as if he's a teddy bear. 

I don't blame them though.

Somehow we get away from our families and stand together, giving each other hugs and congratulations. 

"So, what's the plan for tonight?" 

"Whatever Liam's doing". They all roll their eyes at me and I shrug. 

"Well I guess I'm the same, whatever Louis' doing". I high five Harry and we chuckle. 

Liam wraps his arm around my shoulder and pulls me into his side, kissing the top of my head as Harry pulls Louis into a tight hug. 

I can't believe we've gotten this far.

I've graduated high school.

I have the most amazing boyfriend.

My mum is finally happy. 

I don't think anything could ruin this moment. 

Everything is perfect. 

"NIALL!"

-----------------------------------

I can't even begin to say how sorry I am!

I'm working so so much and I'm so busy and I just haven't had the time.

I work 8 shifts a fortnight now so I can't guarantee regular updates...

But I promise I'll do my best!

Hope you enjoyed it though!