19

Running out the school doors always had sent a thrill through me, mum always waiting, along with the other mums to pick us up.

It was routine.

Why isn't mum here today?

Is she running late?

She's never been late before.

"Hey Niall! Where's your mum?" I looked to Liam and shrugged.

"I don't know". He patted my shoulder and grabbed Louis' arm.

"Mum, Louis' and Niall's Mum's aren't here, can we drive them home?"

"Oh dear, you know what? You boys can come back to our house". I was wary of going to someone's house without asking my mum. It isn't right. But her not being here isn't right either. Where could she be?

Greg would pick me up too, but that was rare.

But Louis' mum isn't here either.

How odd?

"Don't worry boys, I'll try ring your mums. Come along". Liam held my hand, also holding Louis' with his other.

We were always taught to have a buddy when crossing the street or car park.

We did not want to get hit by a car or get lost or even taken.

"Alright boys, buckle up and we'll be in a wonderful heated house before you know it". I pulled my seat belt on, careful not to scratch or bang the fancy car.

I knew how much stuff like this was worth, even if I didn't get it myself.

We didn't have the money but I'm not dumb.

I knew Liam was rich, and I'm pretty sure Louis is too.

I haven't really talked to him much. I'm more Liam's friend.

Not many people like me.

Of course the long driveway went on forever, the house looking like a palace and a garden that had to be maintained by someone paid.

"Okay, Liam take them up to your room and play with your toys, or play a video game, I'll try call their mums". Liam nodded and led us into the house, casually pointing to the gigantic areas in the house, mentioning the pool inside and outside, and his basketball court.

Who wouldn't be jealous?

"Do you guys want to play with my power rangers?" Louis and I nodded enthusiastically and we sat down, me grabbing the red one straight away, Louis the blue and Liam the yellow.

The noises and crashes began, the deep voices we spoke in getting louder as we fought. Well, the action figures anyway.

"Hey Liam, who is that girl in that photo?" Louis and Liam looked to where I was pointing.

"Oh, that's my sister Ruth, she should be home soon". I nodded.