The Game of Love Chapter 39

Comenzar desde el principio

“San Francisco.”

I asked, “Why San Francisco?” He shrugged.

From upstairs I could hear everyone come downstairs with the entire luggage. Sophia popped up behind us and asked chirpily, “You all ready to go?”

Holding a finger up to her, I swallowed, and replied, “Let me finish this.” After another bite, I add, “I thought you said we aren’t leaving in two hours?”

“I know, but I hate waiting! Let’s just go now so we don’t have more time to spend once we get there.”

“Do my parents know about this?”

“Oh yeah, my parents called everyone’s to let them know. They’re cool with it. Anyway, let’s go!” But before I could bother to interrupt any further, she said, “We’ll go now and pick up Leanne and Jack.”

Heaving a sigh, I put away my empty bowl and glass into the sink, and walked out with everyone. When we got outside, I wasn’t surprised to see we’d be riding Sophia’s humungous black van. From one of the eight seats in the van, I picked the very back on the left while Leon took the seat next to me. Seth and Patricia took the two seats directly in front of us; Jake sat in the driver’s seat, Sophia on shotgun.

Turning in her seat, Soph asked, “Are we ready to go?”

“Yeah,” I mumbled groggily, “Just go.” And so we left.

After getting Leanne and Jack, the car suddenly became louder; eventually I found my head lying on Leon’s shoulder, falling asleep instantly. Soon enough, everyone was asleep I bet—we were obviously oh so tired. Well, blame Soph for making us wake up early and leave two hours earlier. All I wanted was my soft, comfy bed to sleep in. But Leon’s shoulder isn’t a bad pillow or bad place to sleep on. It was actually quite cozy.

By the time I woke right back up, he was fast asleep. The time was around ten in the morning, and we were already at a gas station (7 Eleven to be exact). Jake turned off the engine, and when he noticed that I’m awake from the rear mirror, he turned to me, asking in a hushed tone, “Hey, you need something?” When I don’t respond, a bit confused, he clarified, “Do you want something to eat or drink? Need to use the restroom?”

The mention of eating or drinking caused my stomach to grumble. “Yeah…I’m starving,” I replied.

“Do you need me to buy something?”

What a rhetorical question. I still replied, “Yeah…sure. Get me a hotdog and a slurpee.”

He rolled his eyes teasingly. “It’s ten in the morning, Sarah.”

“Whatever; just get me something,” I snapped. He simply nodded before heading out.

I felt Leon twitch in his sleep, which startled me. His head lifted awake, and when I met his eyes, he greeted groggily, “Hey…”

“Hey, sleepyhead,” I teased.

He scoffed, “Like you should be talking.” I rolled my eyes. “So where are we?”

“Seven Eleven,” I murmured as I buried my face in the crook of his neck. “Jake’s about to refill the car’s gas—after he gets my food.”

“He’s getting you food but not me?” he taunted. “Well you better share some.” I groaned. “Come on.”

“Fine…” I mumbled into his neck. “But it’s only to shut your complaining mouth.” I could sense me smirk at my comment.

When Jake came back with my food and drink, I split the hotdog in half (unevenly) and handed the smaller piece to Leon. He didn’t complain though, even when I drank a little more than my fair share of a Coca-Cola slurpee. And once we were back on the road again, I fell back to sleep on Leon’s shoulder.