The Lady On The Outskirts

In a village with approximately 100 inhabitants, there lived a wise chief. One day, someone killed the woman who lived on the outskirts of the village. The chief called all the people to the town square. 

"Here, I have 99 10cm magic sticks. These magic sticks will find the murderer," he gave everyone a stick, watching everyone's expression. carefully. The smallest bit perspiration, the smallest rise of an eyebrow. 

He then told everyone to 'plant' them in the small flowerpots he had also given everyone. All the residents looked at the chief suspiciously, wondering what his plan was with the magic sticks and flowerpots. 

"Now that you have planted your magic sticks, the stick belonging to the murderer will grow three centimetres overnight. Tomorrow, I shall measure the sticks. You are to place your flower pot in front of your house. We shall see and execute the murderer tomorrow at dawn." 

Beat. 

"If the guilty would confess now, there will be a less severe punishment." 

Silence

***

The next day, the chief did what he warned the villagers yesterday. He went to everyone's house and measured the sticks. Sure enough, he found the murderer based on the length of their stick. 

How did he know who the murderer was? 

creds to @leahdeyoung