Epilogue - Mine

Thinking out Loud - Ed Sheeran

"What have I missed?" Nick sighs taking my hand in his.  I felt my heart skip a beat at the slight contact.  The memories were not as amazing as the actual feeling.

I smile at him as he squeezes my hand gently. "Alysha had her baby, he's beautiful and alot of stuff with Pierce.  I had to go to court for Bradley...but..." I stop my heart thumping heavily against my chest as I peered at him."Kelsie missed you alot."

"I feel like I've missed so much.  Where is Kelsie right now?"

"She's with her aunt Kelly."

"I want to see her, I need to make up for all the time that I have missed."

"Nick...we have plenty of time, you've been honorably discharged from the army, I'm quiting -"

"You're quiting? When did you decide on that?" His brows knitted together as he stared at me.

"Yeah, uh I decided that as good as I am at working with computers I've never felt the drive and passion that I've felt when I take pictures.  I've even gathered a couple of potential clients."

"Wow, I'm happy that you're doing something that makes you happy."

"I'm happy with you, it doesnt matter what job I have as long as I have you." I felt my eyes begin to water at the thought of losing him.  The mere thought of him leaving me, brought a sharp pain to my chest. "Don't ever do that to me Nick."

He opened his arms and I came into then willingly.  "I'm sorry honey, I'm sorry I caused you pain, that was the last thing I wanted to happen."

"I know, I know. Don't apologize," I murmur pulling away from his embrace.

"The one thing that drove me to do what I did back there was you and Kelsie.  I had to get home to you two. "

"And you did.  You also brought four other men back to their family.  You're a hero."

"I'm not a hero, I'm just a simple person who did what any other desperate man would do, I fought.  I fought for my country and my family."

"Well you're my hero."

"Thats all I can ever ask for.  I love you."

"I love you, too."

                            ***

When they released Nick from the hospital, he was on the front of the newspaper which was surprising.  They called him Their very own hometown hero.

I was happy to have him home with me.  Nick wanted to spend so much time with Kelsie and I and I had no objection at all. 

"Eve!" Nick called from the bedroom.  I rock Kelsie quietly, before placing her in her crib. I walk out of her nursery and make my way towards my bedroom.

"Yes?" I inquire once I was in the room.  He was holding a piece of paper in his hand and was staring at it in disbelief.

"I just got a letter...from the president.  They want to give me a medal of honor...they sent us three plane tickets," he explains.

"Wait huh?"

"Yeah, it says that they are rewarding me with a medal of honor for my heroic actions in Syria."

"That's amazing Nick, when is it?"

"Next week and I got a call from one of the guys I was with and they said they buried Tyler in D.C.  I think we should visit his grave and show our respect."