Chapter 31

Three more weeks have pass and although I'm still grieving Nick's relapse i was trying to learn to be more dependant on myself.  I hated doing this whole parenting thing on my own, but it had literally been months since Nick was around to help.  It was hard, but I could handle being a single mother.  Women who didn't have my sort of support system did it everyday.

Kelsie began to wail loudly and I made my way to her bedroom and to her crib, pulling her into my arms.

"It's alright sweetheart mommy's here, mommy's here,"I coo giving her a kiss on the top of her head. She stopped crying and tilted her head pouting up at me. Her beautiful eyes were bright with tears.  I admired her delicate features, her button nose, her pale skin and her tiny mouth. 

"We have to go see grandma and grandpa today." I bent down to grab her bag and slung it over my shoulder.  I walk out of the house turning off the lights and locking the door. 

I got in my car and pulled out of my driveway and drove over to my parent's house. Nick's parents and my parents were having dinner together tonight and I knew why. They wanted to comfort me. Everybody wanted to comfort me. 

I pulled into their driveway and cut the engine.  I stepped out of the car and went to grab Kelsie. She was playing with her rattle, which Nick had bought her.  He had gotten it custom made while I was pregnant.  It was a gold color, the words Daddy's girl written in script stood out. She smiled at me as she began to gnaw on the rattler. In response I took the rattle and sat it aside. I  unbuckled her seatbelt and took her out of the carseat.

I walked up to the front door and knocked on the door, glancing at Kelsie in my arms. The door came open and my mother stood there a bright smile on her eyes as they flew directly to the precious bundle in my hand.

"Aw look at you, come here darling," she said and gently took Kelsie out of my hand.

I walked pass her and went into the sitting room with my father and Nick's parents.  They were talking amongst eachother until I walked into the room. I cock a brow in inquiry, but no one looked at me.  His mother was staring at the glass of expensive chardonnay in her hand thoughtfully.  I took a seat just as my mother comes walking into the room with Kelsie making gurgling noises.  I smile and hold my arms out for my baby. My mother pouts but hands me Kelsie, who begins to smile widely at me. 

Everyone's eyes shot to me and I couldn't help my curiousity.  "What were you all talking about before I got here?" I ask, briefly looking up from Kelsie.

"We were talking about a call I got," Rachel spoke up.

"What was this call about? Why did you guys stop talking when I walked into the room?" I continue to ask.

Nick's mom lets out a sigh as as she closes her eyes in defeat.  Utter, helpless defeat.

"It was about Nick, they said that his condition is worsening.  He has yet to respond to anything, he....flatlined earlier."

"What? Why didn't they call me? I'm his wife! I should've known about this.  What happened?"

"They told me they tried calling you when it happened, but they didn't get an answer.  We went to the hospital and they had put him on a oxygen machine, but his heart started beating again."

I threw my phone at the wall again, my frustration had gotten the best of me last night.  I didn't expect Nick to flatline.  I didn't expect any of it to happen.  I should've seen the worst and the worst was happening. 

I felt tears in my eyes.  I glanced around the room.  "Okay so what were you thinking?"

"I don't want my son to become a  vegetable.  He wouldn't want that -"