d a y s e v e n t e e n

"Believing won't do anything."

"Life is like a fairytale, you know. Believe in it a little."

~~

"[First Name]-chan."

"[First Name]-chan!"

"Huh?!" I jumped, snapping out of my daze.

"I've been calling you for two minutes!" Kazuno exclaimed. "What's up with you? Did you see a ghost or something?"

"Might as well have..." I mumbled, not loud enough for her to hear.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"Hmm..." Kazuno crossed her arms. "If you aren't feeling well, you should go back."

I felt bad abandoning Kazuno, but I decided to take that offer. I needed time alone for now.

~+~+~

It was later that night when I found out. Dad had walked into the house in a more gloomy mood than he ever had before. He was jumpy, nervous, whatever other adjective you could think of.

I didn't know how we managed to find out, but somehow in the scheme of things, it just happened.

Dad got fired?

Fired?

It was hard to believe hearing that word.

What would happen now?

Homeless?

Poor?

It sounded extremely irrational to be thinking those thoughts. After all, it couldn't possibly go that far. But at that point, all rationality had flown out the window. Slowly, slowly, I felt a burning anger down in my gut, and it was getting kindled by the thoughts of a certain someone.

Did Akashi plan this from the start?

Why did they fire Dad?

Maybe I did have some rational thoughts left because I decided to wait until morning to settle the score.

So, there I was, standing in front of the gate to Akashi's manor. I steeled myself and pushed open the gate. The concierge was going to open the door. I knew it.

I rang the doorbell, and heard the short chime from the other side of the door. The man from when I came during the basketball practice answered the door. "I need to see Akashi," I stated immediately. It felt weird saying his name without honorifics.

"Pardon me, but who are you, and what business do you have with the young master?" His tone wasn't particularly unpleasant, but his words definitely contradicted that.

"It's urgent," I answered firmly.

"I apologize, Miss, but I am not permitted to allow you to--"

The concierge was cut off when Akashi stepped into view. He took a look at me and told the man, "Let her in."

He nodded and stepped to the side to let me in. I stood for a second, awed. Akashi glared at me, and I jumped into action, following him down the various corridors until he stopped in front of a room. It looked like a lounge. Akashi locked the door to ensure some privacy.

"Why did you fire my dad?" I asked.

He looked at me for a minute before answering. "You're father was a slacker. It seems he hid it from you."

I stared, dumbfounded. "Slacker? Slacker?! He wasn't anything like that! He was a hard-working man. What are we supposed to do now? What if he can't find another job--?"

Akashi was on me in a second, pinning me against the wall with a finger over my lips. "I'll have you know that none of what you said is my problem." Then, he backed away.

I was trembling. "What? Now you're going to make me misunderstand--?"

"Misunderstand what?"

I bit my tongue, and he smiled one of the most devilish smiles I had ever seen. "I knew you had feelings for me from the beginning. With you making it so obvious, it was amusing to see how hard you tried hiding it. I thought I could have some diversion playing with them a bit."

I fumed. Yes, he was an asshole. An asshole of assholes. The Emperor of freaking Assholes. Who the hell plays with a girl's feelings for entertainment. Oh wait, Akashi, of course.

Before I knew it the sky was in front of me, and I was on my bike, pedaling no where. I didn't even know what happened. I probably stormed out of there in a blind rage. Yeah, that's probably what happened.

Where was I going?

~+~+~

And from the looks of it, you're probably going to need it real soon.

I finally get what that meant, now. And he was right. Again, without knowing it, I pulled out my phone.

To: [Full Name]
From: Me

Meet me at the café.

You know which one.

I didn't wait for a reply. Picking up my bike, I looked all around me at the park's scenery. Then, behind me. And I headed straight to the café.

--