d a y f i v e

"Yes you do. You're the one that left me."

"I needed to."

~~

The scenery around me looked familiar. Very familiar. I looked around a little and figured out where I was the moment I saw someone leave one of the houses.

"[First Name]!"

I turned and smiled, trying to say his name, but nothing came out. The air swallowed the name I called.

He slowly came closer. "[First Name]?" he asked.

"Yes?"

"Can you say my name?"

I nodded, and tried again, but nothing came out. With each attempt, I could see that the smile on his face was progressively faltering. No, this isn't what's supposed to be happening. After one last try, he stopped me. "Sorry, I have to go. My mom's calling me," he said and ran off.

I tried calling his name as he disappeared into the house, but it was no use.

"......"

~+~+~

The chime of my alarm resounded around the room. I slowly opened my eyes, only to close them immediately after due to the brightness of the light seeping through the closed blinds. Groaning, I turned over to the side, so the light wouldn't blind me. I opened my eyes and blinked a few times. Squinting as I turned around, I swiped the screen to stop the annoyingly loud sound of the alarm.

I reluctantly pulled the covers off and stood up, the carpet soft against my feet. Sunday had went without a hitch. It's time to see what today's schoolday brings.

When I was done getting ready, I rushed downstairs to get some food. On the table sat a piece of toast. Swiping the bread from its place on the plate, I went to leave. Both of my parents were already out at work, so the entire house was empty. I checked the clock; it was showing 8:00. By the time I had gotten on my shoes, coat, and other things, and was out the door it was already 8:07.

Jogging in the direction of the school, I finished my breakfast. There weren't that many cars passing by on the way.

Kazuno's house was along the route I usually took to school. As I neared the gate of her house, I noticed her sitting on the top step of the steps leading to the front door. The moment she saw me, she sprang up and ran over to me.
"[First Name]-chan!" she sang as she wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Have you studied yet?"

My mind blanked, "Huh? Study for what?"

She stopped abruptly while I walked forward a few feet before turning back to look at her. A shocked expression was settled onto her face. "What is it?" I asked growing slightly worried.

"The first semester mid-year exams are this Wednesday! Our teacher reminded us about it sometime last week!" Kazuno exclaimed. My mind processed her last sentence for a minute as she walked over to my side. "Were you not paying attention again?"

"What?! The mid-year....." I trailed off and mentally slapped myself. How could I forget. It's May. And since when did our teacher announce it? Ah, I may have not been paying attention.

I managed to calm my internal panic down, and thought the situation through. It's okay, [First Name]. Today is Monday. The exams are on Wednesday. You still have two days to cram as much crap as you can into your brain.

"You'd better start cramming information into that brain of yours," Kazuno stated.

"Yeah, I know."

I spent the rest of the walk to school tuning out whatever Kazuno was rambling on about into background noise and going over various problems from different classes in my mind. Not far from us, the large flow of Rakuzan students were flowing into the open main doors of the school building. Following the crowd, Kazuno and I entered the locker area.

I opened my locker, and took the indoor shoes out. Slipping off the shoes I was currently wearing, I switched to the indoor ones. "[First Name]-chan," I heard my name being called and looked at Kazuno who was standing in front of her locker, which was two away from mine. "Do you want me to help you study after school? I have time."

I smiled, "Yeah. Thanks Kazuno-chan. We can study in the library."

She nodded, and I walked over toward her. "You're going to have to study hard," she said.

~~