d a y o n e

"Why are you here?"

"It's a last effort."

~~

Fear.

His victories were driven by fear.

His academics were driven by fear.

His life was driven by fear.

He was driven by fear.

Fear is the driving force he always tries to hide. And with that, he hides his other side. The weaker side. The side he doesn't want anyone to see again.

Fear brings out the darkness in people.

As it did with him.

~~

How long has it been?

Hmm, I don't think I can count the days anymore. I've lost all sense of time. It seems fitting. I rolled over, facing the blinds covering the window.

Another betrayal.

Well, the bright side is that today is Saturday, and I don't have to deal with any people...

Optimism can go to hell.

I sighed, and pulled my covers off. Anything else would be better than staying in bed doing nothing. I need to do something that will make me forget.

The blinds opened, revealing a clear blue sky, and a view of the street I lived on. Kyoto is a beautiful place. Not to mention one of the most prestigous schools is in the area: Rakuzan. Somehow, I managed to make it in.

A cherry blossom petal flew across my vision from the cherry blossom tree in front of the house.

Maybe I could just sit under there for the day.

I slipped on a T-shirt and leggings, and shrugged on a hoodie. After going through the generic routine of getting ready in the morning, I grabbed my sketchbook and pencil, and made my way downstairs. I swiped a piece of toast from the table as I made my way out and took a bite off of it. When I exited the house, I looked up at Mom and Dad's window. It still had its blinds closed.

Mom and Dad don't usually get up until around nine or ten in the morning. Mom works as a nurse, and Dad works under the Akashi Corporation. Both of their jobs have a decent amount of pay, so we were pretty well-off.

I took another bite out of my toast, and started toward the cherry blossom tree. With my back against the rough bark, I slowly lowered myself onto the grassy ground. I flipped through the pad, trying to find a blank page to sketch on, before stopping on one of the drawings I'd drawn before.

It was a girl. A girl running from a dark void threatening to pull her in. Memories, fear, that void could be anything. I don't even remember what I was trying to convey with this drawing.

Sighing, I turned a few more pages when I finally got to a blank one. I leaned my head back against the trunk and closed my eyes, contemplating on what to draw. My eyes were greeted with a branch covered with pale pink blossoms when I opened them.

I have an idea!

I quickly picked up my pencil that was sitting on the ground beside me, and started sketching out the basic design in my head. As I was drawing, the sound of tires reached my ears, and I caught a glimpse of red through a car's window. Well, more like a limousine.

Through the window of a passing car (limousine) I spotted red hair. The Red Emperor of Rakuzan, heir to the Akashi Corporation.

Akashi Seijūrō

~+~+~

When I first found out about his identity, I was a little surprised. It's not everyday you go to school with your dad's boss's son, after all. He was condescending, and was superior to everyone else. Anyone could tell by just looking at him. He was unapproachable by those who are underneath.

I could except nothing less from a corporate heir, honestly, but I had my own reasons to dislike him.

"[First Name]!" a voice called. I turned toward the front door, and there stood Mom. "You should get ready. You have classes in a few," she said before disappearing into the house. My mind blanked for a second before I completely processed her reminder.

Oh crap. I completely forgot that I had classes today.

No, it isn't cram school. I'm not that behind in my studies. They're more like advanced classes. Akashi takes them, too, but he's in a much higher level, following the stereotypical rich guy standards.

I really don't want to go today. I don't know why, or if I even need a reason, but just let me be for this one day.

Of course that can't happen, haha..

I hoisted myself off of the ground, and brushed my pants to get rid of any stubborn blades of grass. "[First Name], hurry up. You need to review what you did this week," Mom rushed.

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Two hours is enough time for me to review."

I stopped at the door frame, and looked back at the cherry blossom tree standing tall...

... and alone.

~~