d a y t h i r t e e n

"I'm pointless, you're pointless, this whole thing is pointless."

"Have you finally gone insane?"

~~

I grumbled as rolled my bike over the pavement. School had finally went on summer break, which was a good thing, but my parents refused to let me stay home by myself. Despite the fact that I was sixteen, and I wasn't a kid anymore. It was like this practically every summer. I would have to go over to Kazuno's house during the day while they were out at work. Her mom stayed hone during most of the summer, so she would be able to watch over us.

For some reason, however, Kazuno texted me the night before, saying to bring my bike. Her house was within walking distance, so I didn't have the faintest clue why I would need my bike.

I leaned the bike near the front entrance of the house and rang the doorbell. After three beats, the door creaked open, revealing Kazuno's face. "[First Name]-chan! You made it!" she exclaimed.

"What," I said, entering the house, "you thought I would fall into a ditch on the way here?"

She laughed, "No. Anyway, Mom is upstairs. She's going to be leaving for today, so you have to come with me. We're going to leave soon anyway, though."

"Tell me what you want at 6:30 in the morning. If you don't, you're going to get it for waking me up this early when we're on break."

"You could say we're going to watch practice."

"Practice? What practice? Basketball? The school gym is closed!"

"Well, the Rakuzan team has some training over the summer."

"Where?"

"Akashi-kun's house."

I stood, staring blankly at her, "What?"

~+~+~

The world was a blur around me. I don't know how Kazuno was able to talk me into this, or if it was my own volition speaking. Somewhere along the way, I was on my bike, speeding down the pavement on the way to Akashi's house. It was in a secluded area, not too close, but also not too far from where all the other living establishments were located. As we turned the corner, we spotted Hayama and the rest of the team waving. If it wasn't for them, I would've probably bypassed Akashi's house as a museum. A house was a major understatement.

I hopped off my bike and stared abjectly up at the mansion. "I can see how a gym could fit in there..." I stated blandly. Kazuno came up behind me.

"Kotarō-kun!" she exclaimed.

We decided to just leave out bikes outside of the gates. Although, there was the threat of someone taking off with them, it would be better not to risk anything with Akashi. Reo pushed open the gate and when we got to the front door, a concierge greeted us.

A freaking concierge.

I noticed him glance at Kazuno and me briefly before going back inside. A few minutes later, he came back, but with Akashi in tow. He waved his hand to dismiss the concierge, then he turned to us. "It seems that there are unexpected rats here," he said without looking at Kazuno or me.

I bristled.

"Please, Captain. They need to be here under some circumstances..." Hayama said.

Akashi looked over at us. "Do as you like," he finally answered, "but if you're not completely focused, Kotarō, she's getting punished with you."

With that said, he disappeared inside. Kazuno placed a hand on the back of her head and laughed nervously. Nebuya clapped Hayama on the back and said, "Good luck, friend."

"Sei-chan seems kind of intense today," Reo mused, heading towards the door. "Now, come on. You wouldn't want him to already be angry with you for being late."

"Yeah," I said. "I don't think it would be a good idea to get on his bad side, now."

~~