d a y f i f t e e n

"It was fun having that kind of relief."

"Relief?"

~~

I was lying facedown on the sofa of my house. My parents had already left, but I stayed home. Of course, they weren't the ones that let me. I did what I did at Kazuno's house the other day. Before my parents had left, I started towards Kazuno's house. When I finally saw their cars, I quickly turned back around and headed for my own house again. The spare keys were always with me, so I was able to get into the house.

Despite the fact that I felt a little guilty for doing it behind my parents' backs, I wasn't a baby anymore. I could stay home alone. Kazuno knew about what I was going to do, so she wouldn't blow my cover.

I rolled over and looked up at the ceiling. I was going to have to leave the house before my parents got home and then come back. For now, I had a decent amount of hours.

It wasn't until the afternoon that I probably had the most eventful thing for the day happen. My phone dinged, signaling a message. I picked it up from the table and opened it.

From: XXXXXXXXX
To: Me

Come to the library.

Don't be late.

It's Akashi.

I almost dropped my phone when I read the last message. How did Akashi get my number? But then again, maybe it wasn't really Akashi talking. Gah, who cares. It's not like I had anything else to do that day.

I exited the house hurriedly and locked the door after me. Getting on my bike, I started off towards the public library. It really wasn't that long of a ride. At most it took ten minutes. I was just going to have to hope Akashi would tolerate that, if it was really Akashi.

There was a bike rack in front of the library, and Akashi was leaning against the wall by a bench. I slowed to a stop and pushed my bike into one of the places on the bike rack. Akashi walked towards me. "How do you know my number?" I asked. I didn't know why I asked. It was always going to be the same answer. Either he knew everything, or he didn't speak. Unsurprisingly, he chose the latter. "We're studying," Akashi said.

"I didn't bring my books."

"We're using library books."

He said that like it was the easiest thing in the world. "What about the basketball team?"

"My father wanted me to take care of a few things for the company."

"What about--"

"Don't ask so many questions," he interrupted, walking into the library. I sighed and followed him in.

"There are enough books on history. Memorizing dates and events should be easy for you, should it not?" Akashi looked over his shoulder back at me.

I gulped and nodded my head. This was the consequence for going to Akashi's house. We went into the nonfiction section, and Akashi pulled books off the shelves, passing them to me to carry. It was all silence as we walked down the aisles of books. I decided to ask a question that was on my mind, though it was quite risky.

"Akashi-kun," I started. "You don't mention your mother."

I saw his hand freeze in mid-air for a second before he continued. "It's unladylike for a girl to get into other people's business, [Last Name]."

He didn't yell. His voice was just low and quiet, yet for some reason that scared me more than if he did. Taking the hint, I said, "Sorry."

We sat down at one of the tables, and Akashi started lecturing me on the events in history we were learning. A while later I finally had a moment to look up from the books. I stretched my arms and looked at some of the other aisles, my eyes landing on a particular raven haired boy. Leaning closer, I rubbed my eyes, but he was gone the next moment. Must be the stress, I thought.

Not long after, I was buried in books again. I didn't know how late it was until I got a notification on my phone. Catching the time in the top corner, I stood up quickly. "I'm sorry, I need to go right now. My mom's going to be back soon."

Akashi stood up.

"I'm sorry, Akashi-kun," I repeated, gathering all the books to put on the cart.

"Don't call me that," he said.

I scowled. This wasn't the right time. "Well, what should I call you then. Akashi-san?"

"That's what people call my father," he gave me a sideways glance. "Just Akashi is fine."

~~